Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulzie32

Identification help

paulzie32
16 years ago

Sorry, no picture, but I think I can describe it well enough. I was at Disney a few months ago and stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They had a type of Bamboo that was really pretty. It was about 6-8 feet tall, but was bent over some, with VERY thin leaves! They were only about a quarter of an inch or less wide but about 2-3 inches long. The Culms were all fairly thin as well, about a half an inch or so across.

They were really beautiful plants! From a distance, they gave the area a hazy appearance. Very Wispy looking!

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance

Comments (11)

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Could be one of the Fargesia species, maybe F. nitida...

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb.info

• cmontross
    16 years ago

I would be impressed if they could grow that genus down there with much success. I am only having limited success in 8a. I would throw a guess to a Otatea sp., possibly not a mature specimen. Otatea do very well down there.
    Chris
    -any aureocaulis on hand kudzu? the allgold is coloring up nicely and should put up some nice culms in spring

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Cmontross I think it's like Otatea acuminata ssp. Aztecorum... There weren't any close pics of the leaves so it's hard to tell... but that looks pretty close!

Thanks

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Chusquea foliosa is another possibility, among a few others, but it too, doesn't like real hot Summers. Otatea acuminata Aztecorum sounds like a close match.

Kt

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Kudzu9, Thanks so much for the link, That's a great site! I've bookmarked it!
    Kentuck, The leaves on Chusquea foliosa are close but still too big. I was looking at Otatea acuminata Aztecorum again... There are pictures from Orlando Florida posted, but the leaves look a bit longer than that at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Canes also look quite a bit taller in some of the pictures too. I may just give them a call. They have people to answer just about any guest question. Maybe I can find out for sure!
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know what I find out!
    Have a Happy Turkey day all!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Yes: contact Disney and see if they can assist. Guessing could go on forever and still not hit it. Maybe it's not even a bamboo, but another kind of grass.

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just to Update all of you that are waiting for an answer... I have called Disneys Horticulture department for Disney Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge and I keep getting a machine and leaving messages. Their message states they'll return the call, but so far nothing!
    If anyone else is interested in trying to help get an answer from them... Their number is 407-939-1688.
    Now, A few years back, I spoke to someone who said it was Alphonse Karr... but after looking it up... there's no way it is.
    Anyway... Wanted to up date you so you didn't think I just forgot.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Do they have e-mail?

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey All,
    If any of you that had responded to me when I first posted this are interested, I finally found out what this "bamboo" was. I had seen it again somewhere else and they had a name tag with it!
    It's Muhlenbergia dumosa or bamboo muhly! It's native to Southern Arizona and NW Mexico, from what I can find.
    It looks like smoke from a distance! Very Nice!

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

paulzie32-
    Thanks for the info. I like that plant, but it's common name is misleading since it's not really a bamboo. It's in the Poaceae family, but not one of the bamboo genera.

• paulzie32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah... I was trying to find out since most places called it a grass. But it looks like Bamboo... just very fine bamboo. I will be getting some :)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County