Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite tall clumping bamboo for zone 8? Enable me!

Posted by flowerstreet z8 OR (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 1:04

Am new to bamboo...want to plant a clump to get 20+feet tall. I am amazed at the amount of different types! I had no idea...I need help narrowing it down, wondering what are some favorites? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite tall clumping bamboo for zone 8? Enable

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 3:05

For that height probably best to plant a Phyllostachys with a barrier.

o

May I suggest Borinda boliana? I planted 3 this summer in portland and the growth is already astonishing. Trade Winds has plants grown from seed. They are in state so shipping is quick and cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradewinds Bamboo

o

Here in z8b in Texas, the tallest cold hardy bamboo is Bambusa textilis, growing 40+ feet and cold hardy to below 15F. It does very well here during Winter months and tolerate high heat and wind very well.

Other less cold hardy clumpers are B. oldhamii and B. tuldoides, both get severe Winter weather damage when temps get below 20F.

For smaller clumpers, try B. multiplex or some of it's varieties, the tallest get to about 20 feet here and there are many to chose from.

Good Luck

Kt

o

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm planning to visit Bamboo Gardens nursery (outside of Portland) this week. Can't wait. Anyone ever order from them?

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo garden

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 20, 06 at 12:52

Ned's been at it a long time, you should be able to get something good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here