Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bean_pod

Where to buy Bamboo ?

bean_pod
18 years ago

Hello all...I am looking for some good places to purchase some bamboo. Does any of the sites online have offers for printed catalogs that they send in snail mail? Thank you.

Deb

Comments (15)

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

I haven't gotten any catalogs, I think they post most of their info on the web. So its like an online catalog.
    Places like http://lewisbamboo.com/pricelst.html has a wealth of information to help.
    Also, http://www.bambooplantation.com/files/price_list.php has some great prices and is located in Mississippi.

• bean_pod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the info. I'll check into them. That's good that one is in Mississippi. I'll have to find out where in MS. Thank you again.

• kookwonk
    18 years ago

Bamboo Sourcery has good prices and selection and was very helpful with answering questions when I was looking for my first bamboo purchase. They have a good site, it is bamboosourcery.com I think.

• bean_pod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you! I will go check out bamboo sourcery too. I have bamboo fever.

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

Watch out, bamboo fever is contagious. Many family members and friends may catch it.

Here is gardenwatchdog search for bamboo companies
    http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?search_text=bamboo

• roy_rogers
    18 years ago

Deb,

Try the link below.

Roy in Tampa
    Mississippi Redneck (1944-1975)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Sources via Bambooweb.info

• bean_pod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank all of you very much for giving me these links and names of sites. I can't wait to look at them all. Yes my fever might spread to the whole family and friends. LOL

• socalboo
    18 years ago

Isn't Jim Bonner in mississippi somewhere? he's at bambooplantation.com. Have had GREAT success with his plants and shipping to so cal. Also very good luck with R. Saporito at tropicalbamboo.com (somewhere in FL).

• stevelau1911
    13 years ago

Stay away from Jim Bonner at bambooplantation. He sent me some plants on the verge of death and has been ignoring all my attempts to contact him so I guess everytime he sells a dead plant, he puts that number on a do not call list.

Unless you want to have the same experience, stay clear of bambooplantation.

• new2zone9a
    13 years ago

Wow, old thread. But since revived...

re: "Posted by SoCalBoo 10a/b (My Page) on Thu, Nov 17, 05 at 18:37
    ...Also very good luck with R. Saporito at tropicalbamboo.com (somewhere in FL)."

I can vouch for Robert at Tropical Bamboo. The somewhere is NW Palm Beach County. I've never had a plant shipped but have been to the nursery a few times and first bought from him when he was selling out of his backyard. Real nice guy. I've no doubt he does a great job in shipping bamboo (specializes mostly in clumpers).

• bemg_att_net
    13 years ago

I am planning to build a small patio cover from bamboo poles in Southern California. The material will be exposed to high temperatures in the summer and humidity in the winter. Do the poles need any special special treatment to avoid cracking and deterioration?

Thanks,

Bob

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Bob-
    There is probably nothing you can do to prevent some deterioration over time. It's just something that occurs naturally and I'm not aware of a coating or treatment that will prevent cut bamboo culms from doing this. However, they should last quite a few years and the cracking will add to the "character."

• Bamatufa
    13 years ago

Steve Ray Bamboo in Alabama.Never purchased but spokento them and driven past their farm out in the countryside.They have quite a large spread.

• fingersoup
    13 years ago

I would 2nd the recommendation for Lewis Bamboo. Got some great rubromarginata from them last spring and they are doing VERY well.
    {{gwi:425880}}From Landscaping / House

• euqruob
    13 years ago

They sell many varieties here at the Home Depot and at Lowes, good prices too! Not sure whether they do it outside of the SW though.