Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guyfrom505

sap(?) on bamboo leaves

guyfrom505
17 years ago

I have had bamboo P. aurea and p. nigra planted for 3 months now. The aurea has some sticky sap like stuff that also has salty crystals on the leaves. Looking at it it looks like the leaves are wet but they never dry and the substance is tacky to the touch. There are also salt like crystals on the leaves where the sap type substance is. One of the two aureas has lots of yellow leaves, ( I may have over watered last time. The one that has the most sticky stuff on the leaves seems to be doing very well, in fact I still have two shoots still growing! The last shoot is the fattest one of the year! :) Does anyone have any idea what this sticky substance can be? It is not on any surrounding items, fence, deck, culms, it is only on the leaves so I don't think it blew onto the leaves. I cut out cement to plant the bamboo in a patio area. The bamboo is surrounded by a deck made with pressure treated wood that was panited with polyurathane. I added peat moss and composted manure to the soil, (may not be mixed very well). I have mulched with cedar mulch. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio