Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddnumber

Aurea dying?

oddnumber
10 years ago

Hello all :)

I have a qestion about Golden Bamboo that I'm hoping you can answer if possible!

I planted 10 Golden bamboo plants in Spring this year, which have all grown very well. I noticed, however, that one of the plants is drying out and turning yellow. It also has little brown spots on the stem too.

Does anyne know what this might be? I'd be graeful for any pointers! You can see two images here -

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/oddnumber76/photo1_zps4f7c45d4.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/oddnumber76/photo2_zpsf40123aa.jpg

Comments (12)

• kentuck_8b
    10 years ago

From the picture, the bamboo looks fine. The spots get on it down here also but are no problem for the plant. As far as dying and turning yellow, that could just be seasonal due to colder and wetter weather, but Golden bamboo is very hardy and should be fine.

Kt

• oddnumber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi there, thanks very much for the reply. I was initially alarmed because it was the only plant showing those symptoms, which suggested something was wrong.

Hopefully it is just the weather - it's getting fairly cold here now - and things will right themselves come spring.

• kentuck_8b
    10 years ago

Is it getting enough water as compared to the other plants?

Also, I don't see any yellowing except on the culms, which is the normal color for aging culms of that species.

Kt

• oddnumber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello again - thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. The plant has had the same water as the others and is in the same soil. I've attached another pic of the shoots that appear dead, at the bottom of the plant.

Hopefully it IS just seasonal, as we need the bamboo to form a privacy screen!

• kentuck_8b
    10 years ago

Kind of hard to tell, and bamboo does grow differently in different parts of the country(world) but the Golden Bamboo here looks like that normally after a few cold spells.

I just wonder why the other plants look healthier. I don't think it is anything to worry about. Even if it has a problem, the other plants will spread and fill in that area quickly.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how that plant does and how your screen progresses.

Kt

• oddnumber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply again :)

I'll keep a close eye on it. This is the first year I've grown bamboo, so it's all new to me!

I'd heard that bamboo is pretty hardy though, and not much will be able to kill it off.

• kentuck_8b
    10 years ago

Is it getting more water than the other plants? Be sure and let the ground dry out a lot in between waterings especially in colder months. Other than that, I'd just keep an eye on it and see what happens. It doesn't look too bad yet, so could just be seasonal.

Good Luck.

Kt

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If the dark mulch is some fresh product that may be hot or salty that may be what is causing what you are seeing.

If that wood edging is all you have to hold the bamboo back that is not likely to be adequate; I have seen golden bamboo popping up all over an entire urban lot in California. A 'Koi' golden bamboo I had removed from here recently once came up about 15 or 20 feet away from the mother plant, without any top growth appearing in the space between beforehand.

• oddnumber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey bboy, thanks for the reply :)

The mulch hadn't been put on when i noticed the condition of the plant, so it rules that out.

One thing I've read about that does concern me is root rot - we have had an extraordinary amount of rain here in the UK over the last month. If it IS root rot, is it reversible? Can it spread to the other plants?

I take your point about the barriers too. I'm going to have to beef them before Spring :D

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

They like it damp but anywhere there is lingering standing water most bamboos will not root into.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

They like it damp but anywhere there is lingering standing water most bamboos will not root into.

• oddnumber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again bboy. There isn't usually standing water in the area that they've been planted, but over the last couple of weeks we've had some torrential showers.

I fear stem/root rot, so am tempted to dig that particular plant up and isolate it in a pot til Spring next year.