Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my bamboo dead?

Posted by potty 7long island (potty@optonline.net) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 5:39

I live in Long Beach NY and as a result of Sandy my bamboo and the rest of my house were inundated with 4 feet of sea water. The leaves on the yellow grove have since dried up but the stalks are still green. Anyone know if it will make it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my bamboo dead?

Give it time and see what happens. The sea water will kill the leaves and more tender parts of the plant, but it will most likely grow back from the roots/rhizomes.

Kt

o

The size of your shoots next year may be comprimised, but if you have yellow groove, I'm pretty sure it will bounce back with plenty of new shoots next spring. This species seems to store most of its energy in its rhizomes so it shouldn't be a big deal if the top part gets badly damaged.

with YG, you should probably be more concerned with how far the rhizomes have traveled underground, and make sure they aren't already in your neighbor's yard because it is known to a a fast runner, especially in a mid-Atlantic climate.

o

It's good to hear that you made it through the storm even if some of your bamboo didn't.

Most likely it's the result of direct contact with the salt killing off the foliage. With that much excess salt now in the soil though it may be a good idea to use Gypsum to counteract it. I would ask you local garden center for more information and directions on applications. Gypsum will also not pollute or harm other plants.

Your plants will most likely look pretty shabby and may not put on many leaves next season. My suggestion is to cut them down which will encourage more canes to grow in the spring. A hand lopper from Home Depot will do the trick just make sure to cut them off at the base and straight across as to not leave any sharp canes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gypsum Use in Salty Soils

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here