Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aby767

help ID

aby767
11 years ago

Would anyone have some idea of what bamboo this is?

Comments (16)

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

I see you live in Poland. Is that where you took the picture? What are the climate conditions where this bamboo grows.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Also, how thick are the culms and how tall is the bamboo?

A close-up picture of the leaves and of newly emerging culms might help also.

Kt

• aby767
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The picture was taken in Thailand so these are tropical conditions. Unfortunately, I don't have more pictures - sorry. I realize this is not very helpful. The culms have a radius of about 10cm and they're about 3 metres tall.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

aby767-
    Do you mean circumference of 10cm? A radius of 10cm would be huge....almost 8" wide.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Looks like some of the Chusqueas, but not sure about them being in Thailand.

Kt

• aby767
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right. I meant diameter, not radius. So radius would be 5cm (and that's for the larger culms). The stems are hollow inside - unlike in Chusqueas, which are apparently solid.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Chusqueas are usually solid at the base, but some are hollow higher up in the culms.

Do you remember anything else about the leaves or culms? Did the culms have any type of groove on them? Were there any colour striping on the culms or leaves? What size were the leaves?

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

So you are saying that the biggest culms are 10cm, or about 4" wide, correct?

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Good point, Kudzu.

The culms in the picture look between 2 and 2.5 cm in diameter comparing them to the leaves of the bamboo and other surrounding plants.

How large was this grove?

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

kentuck-
    I agree that your eyeball estimate is in the right ballpark.

• aby767
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So you are saying that the biggest culms are 10cm, or about 4" wide, correct?
    - Yes, that's correct. There are of course also thinner culms and maybe, indeed, the ones on the picture are thinner. However, the thickest ones do grow to around 10cm wide in diameter.

How large was this grove?
    - The grove was quite small. Most of it is visible on the picture.

I managed to get hold of another picture of the same species, but in a different spot (still in the same area in Thailand) and a close-up of the culm. Hope that helps.

• aby767
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close-up

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

If that is most of the clump in the picture, and the culms are 10cm in diameter, then I would say it is a clumper.

I just don't see any culms in either picture that appear to be 10cm in diameter though.

Some of the culms may be young culms, and that would explain the sheaths and branchless culms.

I see some branching but it is difficult to see much detail.

Kt

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Also, a culm 3 meters tall and 4 inches in diameter sounds out of proportion for most bamboo except some tight clumpers, and the culms in the pictures don't seem to taper that much...hmmmm.

Nastus elatus has some similarities to your picture and so do a few of the Pleioblastus. Sinobambusa intermedia is another, but I do not grow these, I'm only comparing pictures.

Kt

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Click Here.

About 1/3 of the way down the page, and on the right, there is the title: "Links to Photo Sets of Bamboos in Thailand".

You may find the bamboo you have under one of these photo websites.

Kt

• aby767
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot for trying to help! I'll follow it up with your suggestion.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!