Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help ID

Posted by aby767 none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 6:14

Would anyone have some idea of what bamboo this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help ID

I see you live in Poland. Is that where you took the picture? What are the climate conditions where this bamboo grows.

o

Also, how thick are the culms and how tall is the bamboo?

A close-up picture of the leaves and of newly emerging culms might help also.

Kt

o

The picture was taken in Thailand so these are tropical conditions. Unfortunately, I don't have more pictures - sorry. I realize this is not very helpful. The culms have a radius of about 10cm and they're about 3 metres tall.

o

aby767-
Do you mean circumference of 10cm? A radius of 10cm would be huge....almost 8" wide.

o

Looks like some of the Chusqueas, but not sure about them being in Thailand.

Kt

o

Right. I meant diameter, not radius. So radius would be 5cm (and that's for the larger culms). The stems are hollow inside - unlike in Chusqueas, which are apparently solid.

o

Chusqueas are usually solid at the base, but some are hollow higher up in the culms.

Do you remember anything else about the leaves or culms? Did the culms have any type of groove on them? Were there any colour striping on the culms or leaves? What size were the leaves?

o

So you are saying that the biggest culms are 10cm, or about 4" wide, correct?

o

Good point, Kudzu.

The culms in the picture look between 2 and 2.5 cm in diameter comparing them to the leaves of the bamboo and other surrounding plants.

How large was this grove?

o

kentuck-
I agree that your eyeball estimate is in the right ballpark.

o

So you are saying that the biggest culms are 10cm, or about 4" wide, correct?
- Yes, that's correct. There are of course also thinner culms and maybe, indeed, the ones on the picture are thinner. However, the thickest ones do grow to around 10cm wide in diameter.

How large was this grove?
- The grove was quite small. Most of it is visible on the picture.

I managed to get hold of another picture of the same species, but in a different spot (still in the same area in Thailand) and a close-up of the culm. Hope that helps.

o

Close-up

o

If that is most of the clump in the picture, and the culms are 10cm in diameter, then I would say it is a clumper.

I just don't see any culms in either picture that appear to be 10cm in diameter though.

Some of the culms may be young culms, and that would explain the sheaths and branchless culms.

I see some branching but it is difficult to see much detail.

Kt

o

Also, a culm 3 meters tall and 4 inches in diameter sounds out of proportion for most bamboo except some tight clumpers, and the culms in the pictures don't seem to taper that much...hmmmm.

Nastus elatus has some similarities to your picture and so do a few of the Pleioblastus. Sinobambusa intermedia is another, but I do not grow these, I'm only comparing pictures.

Kt

o

Click Here.

About 1/3 of the way down the page, and on the right, there is the title: "Links to Photo Sets of Bamboos in Thailand".

You may find the bamboo you have under one of these photo websites.

Kt

o

Thanks a lot for trying to help! I'll follow it up with your suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here