Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Bamboo Resilience

Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant sale. I do not know the name of the variety, I told the merchant what I was looking for in characteristics, 12-15 ft tall and clumping, and she pointed me to the only pot she had that would fit that, a thin bamboo that she said will get, at most, pinky finger thick and had green young canes and yellow mature canes.

It has been doing fine in its location and recently sent up some new rhizomes. In the interest of creating more clumps, I removed these new canes and potted them. Most of the rhizomes had a tap root attached, but a couple only had buds where the taproot was about to emerge. I potted them all in well draining, organic soil and put them in a sheltered spot where they get part sun. But I am curious as to how resilient these rhizomes tend to be? Will the ones without taproots continue to grow the buds to form taproots? One rhizome had a two ft tall cane attached that broke in half, will this one just leaf out and form more rhizomes or will it die off?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• diggerjones
    9 years ago

I think you're supposed to wait until clump is 3 years old before removing canes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That might explain the unexpectedly severe shock the main clump is going through right now. It is still alive and the leaves unfurl in the mornings or after a good rain (which Florida is kind of lacking this time of year, but it soon curls the leaves back up and some are going yellow. I wasn't expecting this much shock from removing 8 culms/rhizomes. The potted rhizomes are also still alive, but going through similar shock. I am keeping them and the main clump moist with rainwater from my rainbarrel, but it is only the recent rains that really seem to have a noticeable effect.

• diggerjones
    9 years ago

What's the species of the bamboo?

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Typically, you need a decent size root ball for a division to grow. That means dividing off an intact chunk...the larger the better. I will be surprised if any of the pieces you have replanted will survive.

Original Author
    9 years ago

As I mentioned, I don't know the variety (species). I am usually pretty good on that point having a list of all the plants in my landscape with both common and latin names. I am also usually pretty good at growing and propagating my plants, but I mostly deal with Florida natives and palms, bamboos are still a mystery to me, but my wife has been wanting one for years and so I finally took the plunge. When I purchased this bamboo there was a metal tag tied to one of the canes and I incorrectly assumed that at least the common name was on that. Upon getting it home, I realized all that was on the tag was a stamped number. However, comparing my bamboo with a list provided by a somewhat local bamboo grower, I would have to say it is either Golden Goddess or Ladyfinger, though I am leaning toward the former. If it weren't going through the severe shock, I would snap a pic for verification.

I will keep the culms sheltered and not keep my hopes up too much. If I do not see signs of growth by next summer I will chalk it up to a learning moment and wait a few years before attempting to divide again. I just hope it comes out of this shock before our 'cold' weather arrives.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a quick update, not that anyone is likely following this. Of the three pots of culms, one rotted to nothing and two are now putting out new shoots on existing canes. No sign of new culms coming up yet. The main clump still seems dormant though. It still has some green canes and green leaves on those canes, but there has been no sign of new growth yet. With the days lengthening and already very warm, plus the new growth on the potted culms, I keep hoping to see new growth on the main clump, but no dice. Yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the update. Hope you have something more positive to report in the future.
Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia