Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffreydv

Calling All NJ Booers

jeffreydv
17 years ago

I have noticed a lot of members from New Jersey here. I was wondering where everyone was located and what Bamboo you are growing both in the ground and in pots. I am mainly curious about growing marginally hardy species here.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jeff

New Milford, NJ

in ground:

P. nigra punctata(2)

P. nigra henonis

Fargesia sp?

new in basement:

P. vivax

Moso(3)

Yellow groove(4)

Comments (7)

• User
    17 years ago

I also live in town! I only grow in ground, and I have good luck with

Phyllostachys nigra
    Phyllostachys aureum
    Phyllostachys vivax (bright yellow culms)
    P. viridis (beautiful and vigorous, yellowish)
    Sasa palmata (large glossy leaves, heavy shade tolerance)
    Pseudosasa japonica

• User
    17 years ago

Oh yes, add Phyllostachys nidararia (dark green, no winter burn at all, and not as invasive as aureum).

• jeffreydv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

njoasis,

How long have you been growing your Bamboo? My oldest has only been here about 3 years. There is a place in Teaneck where you can dig some up. I am working on finding out the exact location.

• User
    17 years ago

I have had the bamboos about 7 years. The aureum is about 25-30 feet and culms have really gotten thick. If yours are in the ground in a reasonably sunny position, expect them to take off soon. Believe me, once your grove gets going, you won't find it necessary to dig up additional plants.

• mprats
    17 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good source for bamboo in Central NJ? We've run into the usual issue of having lived without fences for years and having the illusion of living in a forest, until the neighbors behind us decided to build a swimming pool this summer, cut down all their trees because they "didn't want leaves in their pool" and put up an ugly white fence...
    Thanks in advance!

• jeffreydv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There is a place in Howell. I have never been there but they may be worth a try.

littleacrefarm@yahoo.com

LITTLE ACRE FARM
    223 Victory Road
    Howell, NJ 07731

Telephone - (732) 938-6300
    Fax - (732) 938-6340

• jnilsen_coldchaintech_com
    16 years ago

This spring I have planted 4 decent sized clumps of yellow groove (10-15' tall) that I dug from a wild groove, 3 others of the yellow groove from my brothers yard in MD and 4 of the P. Nigra (5-6') that I purchased from a local nursery. All are doing well and sprouting many new culms!

I am looking to add on to my jungle with Vivax, Mosu or something that will eventually be very tall and grow thick 4-6"+ thick culms. I live in southern NJ about 5 miles inland on the coast with very sandy soil.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a thick and tall timber type of bamboo that will do well in my area and also if anyone knows of any wild grooves or decent nurseries that will sell established palnts and not charge in the $100's.

Please let me know. I currently have only found one source for established plants and they want $150-$250 per plant!

Also, I am looking for Sasa Palmata with no luck. If anyone has any ideas please let me know?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH