Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calling All NJ Booers

Posted by jeffreydv z7 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 28, 06 at 10:59

I have noticed a lot of members from New Jersey here. I was wondering where everyone was located and what Bamboo you are growing both in the ground and in pots. I am mainly curious about growing marginally hardy species here.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Jeff
New Milford, NJ

in ground:

P. nigra punctata(2)
P. nigra henonis
Fargesia sp?

new in basement:
P. vivax
Moso(3)
Yellow groove(4)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calling All NJ Booers

I also live in town! I only grow in ground, and I have good luck with

Phyllostachys nigra
Phyllostachys aureum
Phyllostachys vivax (bright yellow culms)
P. viridis (beautiful and vigorous, yellowish)
Sasa palmata (large glossy leaves, heavy shade tolerance)
Pseudosasa japonica

o
RE: NJ bamboos

Oh yes, add Phyllostachys nidararia (dark green, no winter burn at all, and not as invasive as aureum).

o

njoasis,

How long have you been growing your Bamboo? My oldest has only been here about 3 years. There is a place in Teaneck where you can dig some up. I am working on finding out the exact location.

o

I have had the bamboos about 7 years. The aureum is about 25-30 feet and culms have really gotten thick. If yours are in the ground in a reasonably sunny position, expect them to take off soon. Believe me, once your grove gets going, you won't find it necessary to dig up additional plants.

o

• Posted by mprats z6NJ Plainfield (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 9:53

Can anyone recommend a good source for bamboo in Central NJ? We've run into the usual issue of having lived without fences for years and having the illusion of living in a forest, until the neighbors behind us decided to build a swimming pool this summer, cut down all their trees because they "didn't want leaves in their pool" and put up an ugly white fence...
Thanks in advance!

o

There is a place in Howell. I have never been there but they may be worth a try.

littleacrefarm@yahoo.com

LITTLE ACRE FARM
223 Victory Road
Howell, NJ 07731

Telephone - (732) 938-6300
Fax - (732) 938-6340

o

This spring I have planted 4 decent sized clumps of yellow groove (10-15' tall) that I dug from a wild groove, 3 others of the yellow groove from my brothers yard in MD and 4 of the P. Nigra (5-6') that I purchased from a local nursery. All are doing well and sprouting many new culms!

I am looking to add on to my jungle with Vivax, Mosu or something that will eventually be very tall and grow thick 4-6"+ thick culms. I live in southern NJ about 5 miles inland on the coast with very sandy soil.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a thick and tall timber type of bamboo that will do well in my area and also if anyone knows of any wild grooves or decent nurseries that will sell established palnts and not charge in the $100's.

Please let me know. I currently have only found one source for established plants and they want $150-$250 per plant!

Also, I am looking for Sasa Palmata with no luck. If anyone has any ideas please let me know?

Any help would be appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here