Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best place for my Sunset Glow

Posted by ellenmarie 5a-5b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 11:12

I have 2 Sunset Glow (Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa') bamboos in containers. I have them inside an unheated porch which is usually about the same temp as outside. I could put them under the house in a large crawl space that will probably be warmer but they wouldn't get any sun. Which place would be the best? I bought both plants from HomeDepot. One this Spring and one the previous Spring.

thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
-ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best place for my Sunset Glow

They will survive outside in your zone. Next year in the early Spring, plant them in a half, sun half shaded area.

I would leave them on your porch for the Winter, since they need light even during Winter months.

Kt

o

Thanks for the info. I want to leave them in containers so I can have them on my deck in the summer. The porch has very dramatic temperature changes, sometimes from 20 degrees at night to 55 in the daytime. Do you think that will be a problem?

o

They are not near as cold hardy in containers as they are in the ground.

The big difference in temperature will not adversely affect the plants. We have bigger differences here sometimes and none of mine have suffered.

Kt

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 15:42

Cover the pots with insulating material to keep them from freezing solid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here