Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo and daffodils

Posted by silversword 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 11:29

I want to plant my daffodils around my bamboo this year. Someone was telling me the root system of bamboo would be too intense for bulbs. Any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo and daffodils

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 14:27

Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. I have all kinds of flowers and bulbs near my many bamboo and never noticed a problem. In fact, for aesthetic reasons I have had to weed out flowers when they were crowding around the bamboo clumps, so I think that tells you something.

Generally as rhizomes spread they are 4"-10" below the surface, so they simply go under the flower root system. I've never had a situation where a bamboo rhizome interferes in any way with flower growth. Unless you are planting flowers that need full sun and they are heavily shaded by masses of bamboo leaves you should be fine.

I do rhizome prune to control the spread of my bamboo and occasionally they grow through the root system of large grasses, so that makes removal of pruned rhizomes a little more work, but it doesn't hurt the growth of the other plant even when the roots are commingled. In short, the bamboo doesn't compete with the flowers or put out some mysterious deadly compound. Plant your daffodils and show your friend your lovely garden next year!

o

Thank you Kudzu!! I couldn't imagine the rhizomes being so obstructive as to strangle the little bulbs but, what do I know? I have about 100 bulbs I'd like to put in the planter around the base of the boo.

o

Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 18:47

If you have your bamboo in a small-ish planter, at some point it may start to get crowded in there with rhizomes, and this might make it hard to dig down deep enough to plant bulbs. If the planter is pretty big, I don't think it would be an issue for a long time.

o

It's over five feet wide and about 20 feet long.

o

Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 18:12

Then I think you're good for a long time...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here