Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo roots in compost

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 12:51

I divided a pot of Black Bamboo yesterday and have ended up with big clumps of roots and I am wondering if I have to be worried about them growing shoots if I put them in the cold compost box.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo roots in compost

I wouldn't worry much about it at this time of the year, but here, I almost always shake all the soil from the roots/rhizomes first and then let them dry out for a few days in the sun before putting them in the compost pile.

Kt

o

If they grow roots, just pull them out of the compost and throw them in the garbage. They're not going to go crazy if they do ....

o

Thanks. I've heard so many horror stories of bamboo going wild, I don't want it to get out of control anywhere!

o

Maybe if you left the roots in the compost pile for about 5 years and ignored new bamboo culms shooting out of it you might have a problem, but most stories about bamboo going wild are either exaggerations or are from people who have not done anything to maintain their bamboo for years.

If you do get any root growth, you can pot it up and get new plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here