Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of Bamboo is this?

Posted by lostsoul62 AR (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 14:03

What kind of Bamboo is this? It's about 20+ feet tall, I live in AR. If I want to grow some of this, how can I start it so I can plant it in the Spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of Bamboo is this?

it's hard to tell from that picture.

Where is it growing? Is it close to where you live?

Dig up as large of a rootball as possible without disturbing the soil around the roots/rhizomes, and the rootball should have as many culms as possible, at least 2 or 3, and they can be topped just above the lower limbs if the culms are too tall/long.

If you dig up the rhizomes without the soil, do it when the plant is dormant such as now, or early next Spring but do not let the roots dry out from digging to transplanting, and do not let them freeze. Water well and you should be set for next Spring.

Kt

o
RE: What kind of Bamboo is this?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 15:46

Probably not the case there but if you are below Zone 6 or 7 wait until spring to dig them up, if possible. And plant where the indefinite spread of the rootstock and seemingly random popping up of new tops will not be a problem.

Or surround the planting with an effective installation of correctly used bamboo root barrier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here