Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
50mph Wind

Posted by botanicalbill 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 14:05

I just went to a bamboo farm and bought 6x3gallon pots and 1x7 gallon pots with different types of clumping bamboo. I put them in the back of my truck and laid them down. I then drove for about 30 min at 50mph or so. It seems that the tall bamboos are all dying. Did I kill the foilage with the wind I created? Will it bounce back and how long will it take. The varities I have are
Bambusa malingensis (Sea Breeze Bamboo)
Bambusa vulgaris (Green Timber Bamboo)
Bambusa vulgaris Vittata (Painted Bamboo, Hawaiian Golden Bamboo)
Bambusa eutuldoides viridi-vittata (Asian Lemon Bamboo)
. The Hawaiian does not seem to be dying back as these were only about 4 feet tall and they fit entrily into the back of the pickup. The others are 15-20 feet and they hung out, these are the ones that are dying back or possibly just lost their foilage.

Thanks for any feed back.

Our daytime temp is 70s-80s and night time is 50s-60s. Im keeping the plants well watered. Im keeping them in the pots for now but have burried the pots 1/2 way or fully in the ground.

Again, thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 50mph Wind

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 17:54

bill-
Sorry to hear about your problem. You have diagnosed the reason for this. All is not lost, though. You do have leaf burn from exposing the bamboo to those 50mph winds, and those leaves will die and fall off. However, you haven't damaged the culms or the root system, so these plants should recover and start putting out new leaves in the future. I can't say how soon this will happen, but you are obviously in a temperate Zone, so that its a good thing. It could be several weeks, or several months. Just keep them watered and in partial shade, rather than blistering sun for now. I think you are doing the right things, so good luck.

In the future if you want to transport bamboo at highway speeds, the best thing to do is get a bunch of twine and wrap each bamboo in a spiral pattern from top to bottom so that the branches are held tightly to the culms and can't whip around. Another approach is to protect them with plastic, but this runs the risk of cooking the bamboo on a sunny day because of the greenhouse effect.

o

Awesome, thanks for the clear feedback. I also thought that I might have lost some soil in the process so I covered the top of the pots with some mulch to hold in the moisture.

I guess I will make no difference if I cut the leafs off or leave them.

Thanks kudzu9.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 21:23

I wouldn't bother to cut off the leaves as you could damage some small growing tips or some leaves still half alive. As they turn brown and dry up, you can just brush the ones that want to come off with your hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here