Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mshaffer_gw

Does Moso lose it's leaves in the fall?

mshaffer
18 years ago

My moso seedling's leaves are turning yellow and falling off, is this normal? I didn't realize this would happen.

Comments (13)

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

If it's happening to more than a couple of leaves, I'd say there is a problem. Moso is hardy to 0 degrees F. I've got moso plants and moso seedlings and they don't lose very many leaves in fall. My seedlings were started last summer (2004) and stayed out all winter in Zone 8 with no leaf loss. What are yours planted in and are they too moist/dry?

• mshaffer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's a couple pics

{{gwi:426231}}

{{gwi:426232}}

• tcstoehr
    18 years ago

That doesn't look so bad to me. The way you described it at first I thought there was nothing but twigs left. Most of the leaves look nice and green and healthy. If it were my plant, I wouldn't be worried until it dropped alot more than that.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

I agree. That could be the normal seasonal response. I wouldn't worry at this point.

• casey_wa
    18 years ago

Kudzu had given me some of his Moso that he started from seed in 2004. Mine are going great and they have been left outside throughout the winters. I usually move the planted up against the house on the back deck for just a little shelter from the weather. The Moso seems like a tough cookie in cold weather. My biggest concern is where to plant it in the yard....and when.

• Metal_Halide
    18 years ago

Make sure you give moso the best soil and drainage you can. Plant it in a south facing area. Moso is hard to get growing from a container plant. It will take 30-50 years to get a mature stand growing.

• Roger_Sr
    18 years ago

"It will take 30-50 years to get a mature stand growing".

Always lurking around and trying to remain silent, but I just can't buy that one. Have to say 10 to 14 years for in ground planting of Moso in the southeast U.S. to reach mature sizes.

Roger Sr.

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

My sentiments exactly Rogers sr. I thought they made a typo error and meant 3-5 years...

• Metal_Halide
    18 years ago

Well, a mature stand has culms 80ft to 85ft tall by 8" dia . Yes, you might want to talk to Chinese or Japanese experts about moso. they'll tell you the same thing.

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

They can't reach that here in the states! I did speak to Japanese experts when I was there a few years living.

• Roger_Sr
    18 years ago

I have been growing bamboo 20+ years and do not do much consulting with Japan anymore. However, one of our Moso groves produced several 6 inch diameter X 70 foot last Spring. That grove was 14 years old.

ABS list 7 inch X 75 foot for the mature estimate listed on edulis 'Moso'.

Roger Sr.

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

I would say you definately qualify as an expert Roger sr.

• hello_c_j_here
    18 years ago

30 to 50 years!!!... mannn I'm digging mine up and tossing it over the fence...lol NOT!!!
    CJ
    Happy New Year everyone.

Sponsored