Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this bamboo?

Posted by newbamboonut 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 16:19

Greetings, I took two potted divisions from a large grove not too far from my house up here because the gentleman who started the bamboo garden moved out of state. He had some of the largest Moso in California as well as some very large vivax, incense bamboo, and others. I took 2 of these potted 1 cane plants that had been left behind and not watered all summer. They were (and are) really struggling although they have been in the ground now at my house for about a month and getting sun and affection. Hopefully they make it through the winter. I am hoping some of the bamboo experts on this forum could possibly help me to identify what species this is as I am not sure. My best guest is Babusoides because the culm seems very straight with strong walls. It has a slight mold/film on the culms which can be rubbed off but I don't know if that is typical of any particular species or every bamboo. The foliage sort of looks like Vivax to me (untrained eye) but the culms seem to be too upright and straight to me to be Vivax although since they were topped maybe they were larger and the first 9 ft or so of the culm was still straight. I'll stop rambling now and leave it to the experts here. I hope to identify since I have two of these in the grounds at different parts of my property now. Unfortunately since it hasn't shot yet I cannot aid in the description of the shoot. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise. (photos in link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Mystery Boo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this bamboo?

That would be my first guess also, Phyllostachys bambusoides.

How large are those leaves?

Kt

o

kentuck, thanks for your reply. you're always such a great resource to others on here i see. boy, as far as the leaves they are roughly 3-5" on average i'd say. can you rule out Vivax? i guess there wouldn't be too much to confuse it with other than vivax or bambusoides? thanks again!

o

The leaves look a bit larger than my bambusoides or vivax here, but then differences in climate and growing conditions may be a factor in their size, and mine never reached maturity here.

Vivax has thinner walled culms and bambusoides is much thicker so you may be able to tell for sure after it sizes up some.

Either way, you have a beautiful bamboo there. Keep us posted on how it does as it matures.

Kt

o

thanks kt!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here