Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xcountry695

Zone 5 hardy bamboo

xcountry695
18 years ago

hi I've done research and found some sites to say that Phyllostachys Rubromargenita are very hardy and would do fine here others say that it can only tolerate to zero degrees does anyone in zone five have bamboo that does well.If so please tell what it is and where it seems to thrive thank you very much!! Also if anyone knows the hardiness of timber bamboo I would love to know.(Canada's bamboo world seems to indicate that every type of bamboo is hardier that other sites say it is, could it be that they have a method of developing hardier strains of these bamboo or is this evil MARKETING? Thank you

Comments (20)

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

How do you develop hardier strains for everything...hmmm...don't believe everything you read-their marketing their product...

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

They also say 4in diameter culms in 3 years on vivax aureocaulis...with a vigourous fertilizer regime...what are they giving it the "B.Bonds Special Balco MIx"...

• newgars
    18 years ago

I have good luck with the fargesias - nitida and murealae. I bend over and cover mine in winter to insure hardiness and evergreen character. If you'd like pictures of my technique, e-mail me at newgars@new.rr.com. I am trying phyllostachys nuda for the first time this year - supposedly the hardiest timber bamboo.

• Thuja
    18 years ago

I planted nuda too but it's been a little slow-going so far. Apparently it needs a few years to get going, at least in Wisc.

• Cady
    18 years ago

Word about P. rubromarginata is that it has been successful in Denver, CO -- where it's grown at the Denver Zoo. Technically, that part of CO is zone 5, but Denver seems to have a relatively mild climate compared to other zone 5 areas around the country.

• brucelofland
    18 years ago

I grow Ph. Robromarginata in zone 5. It has worked pretty well so far. This will be the second winter for it. It spreads out and gets bigger every summer, even if it does look a little ratty in the early spring. I am using wilt-pruf on it this year and so far it looks healthy and green despite the cold windy weather we have gotten so far this year.

I also grow Ph. atrovaginata successfully so far.

I just got Ph. Vivax 'aureocaulis' last spring, so this is the first winter for it here. So far, so good.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Bruce-
    Just a word of caution...Ph. vivax 'Aureocaulis' is thin-walled, like regular vivax, and culms can get snapped under snow loading, so if you have culms of any decent size, you may want to shake them off if the snow starts piling up.

• brucelofland
    18 years ago

My Vivax is just a baby now, about 2 feet tall with 1/4 inch culms, so it still bends easily now. I will keep it in mind for the future though.

• Thuja
    18 years ago

Talk of large, fragile vivax culms in a zone 5 climate might be all academic. The way I look at it, weak-walled vivax doesn't matter much here because it will probably get killed to the ground every winter anyway. What is really going to matter is how fast can vivax come back from the ground in spring. Can it get to any size in zone 5? That is the question. I dunno.

• rfgpitt
    18 years ago

Thuja,
    I'll let you know in the spring....
    planted mine in summer of 2003 and the last 2 winters were aweful. this year looks to be the same so far. i've had yellow groove grow like mad, but the vivax didn't start running until this fall. unless they're deep it still didn't go far, but a few of the rhizomes that grew a foot or more away from the clump were a lot bigger. my biggest culm this year was average finger size and about 8' tall. wishful thinking puts em @ 20' in the spring, but I'd be happy with 12-15 footers.

• flash14756
    18 years ago

Does any thing grow well here (just outside of Boise)

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

Anything, or bamboo? lewisbamboo.com lists that they have sent bamboo to boise.
    http://lewisbamboo.com/locations.html

Here is a link that might be useful: boise

• hollenback
    18 years ago

flash
    You might try Horseshoe Nursery which is 19 miles north of Boise.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Horseshoe Nursery

• Cady
    18 years ago

I just looked at the Lewis site to see where he's shipped 'boo in Massachusetts. Got a good laugh when I saw "Marsh Pee" as one of the towns... (actually Mashpee -- a Wampanoag native word).

• rand412
    18 years ago

I've had nuda in Milwaukee (5b) for about five years. This spring I moved it because I felt that its location on the south side of my garage tended to heat up too much in mid-winter on still days. I tended to get a lot of leaf burn regardless of whether I used Wilt-Pruf or not. It was also reaching toward the south, which made walking on my sidewalk difficult. It's now behind my koi pond.

Now that I've moved it, we're having one heck of a cold and windy December. I don't think I've ever seen it whip around so much, although it's sheltered half of its height by a wood fence to the west and south of it. We'll see how well it survived the move and the brutal winter by next May.

• Thuja
    18 years ago

I planted what I think is nuda right by my sidewalk. I can only hope it will be difficult to walk by one day.

• newgars
    18 years ago

Lets keep in touch next spring Thuja and Rand412. I've planted nuda up here in Green Bay and am quite curious as to how it will handle this colder than normal December.

• Thuja
    18 years ago

10-4.
    Rokwiz is nearby too... the Wisconsin Chapter.
    Over & out.

• rokwiz1
    18 years ago

Yup, I'm here too, ( I think? )

When's the next chapter meeting?

• Thuja
    18 years ago

LOL, we'll have to have our meeting in spring during shooting season. Bring your micrometer for culm caliper measurements.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths