Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willow1987

Online nurseries

willow1987
13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good online nurseries that sell hardy bamboo. Thanks

Comments (13)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Many...but shipping would be cheaper if they were close to you. Where are you located?

• kyuzo
    13 years ago

Lewis Bamboo. Hands down they have been the best, most accommodating people you could deal with!

http://lewisbamboo.com/

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi I'm in North Texas, near Dallas

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kyuzo, i'll check out their site.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I agree that Lewis Bamboo is good. You may want to check out these web sites as well; they have quality plants and good/great selections:

bambu-u.com
    midatlanticbamboo.com
    bamboogarden.com
    bamboodirect.com
    jmbamboo.com

Most of these are not as close to you as Lewis Bamboo, but you should compare the total for plant + shipping to see which is the best deal. Wherever you order from, first talk to them to confirm your species choices are right for your climate.

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow thanks Kudzu. I also put a post if anyone in my area needs some bamboo cleared out and that I would dig it up. I havent gotten any responses yet but hopefully I may get one or 2.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

willow-
    You may have luck if you just cruise around looking for yards that have larger clumps/groves of bamboo. These folks are often happy to have it dug out if politely approached. And, if you have never dug bamboo, contact me via email on "My Page" here at GardenWeb and I'll send you a set of instructions.

• stevelau1911
    13 years ago

That is pretty true. Even up here in the far north I've cruised around and found other people who have well established bamboo groves already growing and all you need to do is ask them if you can take a division. Every time I've gone for a bamboo dig, they have always been nice and accepted it since people with large groves are generally not concerned about sharing a piece of their bamboo.

It is best to get a multi-culm division with as large a root ball as possible, but I would imagine in your area, there are lots of people growing bamboo after touring a few cities and neighborhoods. This way you can grab as much as you need instead of getting small plants through mail in order.

• spademilllane
    13 years ago

If you don't mind driving up to Oklahoma City I've got about 3 acres of bamboo you can dig on to your heart's content...

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow 3 acres!? I wish I could dig up some bamboo there.

• alan_l
    13 years ago

Is that one 3-acre grove, or do you have several different plantings of different species?

• spademilllane
    13 years ago

There are several varieties--including black. Below is an aerial picture from Google. You can see the forest starting to the right of the swimming pool. It travels along the property line and then spreads westward (past the pool) and towards the north and past the barn (on the left of the picture) and the electrical windmill. The previous owner told me it was the largest bamboo forest in the state of Oklahoma. Since it's larger now (about 4 1/2 years later) I suppose it's still the biggest and getting bigger every year....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Forest in Oklahoma

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow i wish I could dig up some of the black bamboo. Thats amazing!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012