Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your favorite runner bamboos?

Posted by pinkswine Oregon Zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 19:16

I am in the process of choosing 7-8 new bamboos. Unfortunately, I will need to keep them in pots because I have maxed out my yard space with about 20 different bamboos plus edible landscaping. All my bamboo are pretty young. Typically I much prefer runners. So far my favorites are Phyllostachys aurea 'Koi'and Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'. I was wondering which bamboos are your favorites and why? Here are some I am thinking about Phyllostachys aurea 'Flavescens Inversa',Pseudosasa japonica 'Tsutsumiana' (Green Onion Bamboo),Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Temple',Pleioblastus shibuyanus 'Tsuboi',Semiarundinaria fastuosa 'Viridis',Semiarundinaria yashadake 'Kimmei'Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus' and Sasa kurilensis 'Shimofuri'. If you think any of these are a good or bad choice I would appreciate your advice. I am new to bamboo but I am hooked! Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your favorite runner bamboos?

Pseudosasa japonica 'Tsutsumiana' (Green Onion Bamboo) does well and looks very nice in a pot.

Semiarundinaria yashadake 'Kimmei' is a very pretty and colourful bamboo which also does quite well in a pot.

Sasa kurilensis 'Shimofuri' is another great choice but mine took a bit more care than other runners, maybe a larger pot would have helped.

Another eye-catching runner is Pleioblastus Gramineus which has rather narrow leaves and does well in a pot. I keep mine on my back porch and it gets NO dorect sunlight although it does do well in mostly sun.

Personally, I like clumpers in pots, since they take longer to get rootbound, unlike runners which sometimes have to be repotted every year. However, most are less cold hardy.

Kt

o

My favorite runners are Phyllostachys nigra (Black bambooo) and Phyllostachys viridis "Robert Young". The former has black culms and is not too aggressive--Robert young has sulfur yellow culms.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 14:35

Based on your list you would probably also like P. vivax aureocaulis.

o
And

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 14:36

P. bambusoides 'Castillon'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here