Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topster79

Dividing this time of the year

topster79
15 years ago

I have a Vivax that is a couple of years old at my mom and dads house and i want to divide it so i can plant some at my house but now that it is cold i am wondering if it is to cold to divide and plant it without killing it or anything thanks Ronnie

Comments (6)

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Depending on how cold it is there, but I would guess that it is already somewhat dormant for the year.

Transplanting a division should be OK as long as you take care of it while transporting it from their house to yours.

Don't let it get too cold or dry out while moving. Water well after transplanting and make sure it doesn't dry out until next Spring.

Good Luck

Kt

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Is there a reason you have to do this now? Since it's pretty dormant right now, it won't hurt it to do a division, but the division is also not going to do much in the ground to establish itself right now. My choice would be to wait until next spring and divide it and transplant it just before it starts shooting for the year.

• topster79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just wanted to do it now b/c i didnt know if i did it in the spring if it would stun the growth of the new shoots, thants the only reason.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

topster-
    Ideally you don't want to take a division after it's started sending up shoots in the spring, but any time before that is fine. If you do it now, especially in your Zone, make sure to mulch it heavily for the winter. And, regardless of when you do it, if it has any height, you should stake it so the wind doesn't blow it over before it has a chance to lock its rhizomes into the ground.

• topster79
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know not to do it when they are sending up shoots. Im just wondering if i do it before they shoot up will it make it not shoot any up for the year or will it not bother it and send up the new shoots anyway. Thanks Ronnie

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

topster-
    It's hard to predict. I've had stabilized, potted bamboo that I've put in the ground that didn't do anything for a year or two, and I've had bamboo that I've divided in April start shooting in a month or two...or not. All I can tell you is that it will do what it wants to, and you won't hurt it. Your chances for getting new shoots next year are unlikely to depend very much on whether you divide it now or sometime in the next 5 months. I'd still lean toward doing it in early spring, but you can do what you want without worry.