Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillyblything

Bamboo with short horizontal divisions

gillyblything
15 years ago

Hi All,

I really know nothing about bamboo - except that "clumping is better" - which sounds a lot like cat litter :-)

What I'm looking for is a bamboo with short horizontal divisions (sorry, that must have an official name - but I don't know it).

My perfect bamboo will be about 2" across and have divisions every 2 to 3 inches. Height is not important.

Any suggestions will be appreciated !!!!!!

Thank You,

Gilly

Comments (8)

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

B. vulgaris 'Wamin'.

Kt

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

gillyblything-
    There aren't many bamboo that satisfy your criteria. The one kentuck posted about is the best fit...but it's only hardy to 30F, so that's not going to work in Zone 7 unless you have it in a pot and bring it in in the winter. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of anything hardy in your Zone that comes close to your description. Now, if you ease up on the node spacing requirement, there are a number of bamboo that can be recommended for you...

• gillyblything
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks to you both !
    I really love the "fat belly" Wamin !!!!
    I'm on Vancouver Island - half way up - and we are into "Strange Weather" anyway. I'm pretty happy taking a chance.
    My plan is to plunk a healthy plant down into the middle of my field, wait a while and then build multi-stemmed pond fountains. I would be fine with 4" divisions (Is there a name for this divisional-thing that will make me feel more professional ?)
    Meanwhile: THANKS :-)
    Gill

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Nodes and internodes.

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

Gill-
    I'm in the Greater Seattle area, so I know about your weather. I haven't tried to grow that one outside, although I'm in a warmer Zone. Hopefully your micro-climate will let you push the limits. You might want to check in with BambooWorld in Chilliwack, BC to get their advice first, though. In any case, let's hear back from you about how this works out.

• gillyblything
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I'll google Bamboo World - thanks for the info !
    Also - I'm still dead in love with that "Wamin".
    I think I'll get one and move it indoors in the winter.
    Thanks again,
    Gill

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

The Wamin does very well in a pot. A 14-inch pot or 20 gallon pot would be even better.

It will get about 6 or 7 feet tall in a pot and looks great.

Kt

• gillyblything
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all !
    I contacted Bamboo World - and received a reply that same evening suggesting Phyllostachys congesta.
    When I "Googled" it it was a close fit - but no cigars.
    So I continued on - and then "a Gironimo moment" !!!!!!
    A photo of Phyllostachys edulis (moso) from Portland - complete with Oggie the bamboo dog. My old (late)Husky - Abbie - used to keep my North Vancouver bamboo patch under control by chowing down on most of the new shoots.
    Phyllostachys edulis is classed as "aggressive" - I'll plant it in the middle of my field, and hopefully will be six feet under before it breaches the neighbours' ramparts - or I'll bring in a herd / swarm / pack of Huskies.
    Now I just need to find a plant !
    Gill

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia