Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got good answers, heres a few more

Posted by botanicalbill 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 20:37

Since I got a few clear answers from my last post, I have a few questions.
Since bamboo is a grass, is it sensitive to 2,4-d, my guess right now is no, it wont harm it. Saint Aug is the only true grass I know that gets killed by 2,4-d.
What other herbicides, if any, are ok with bamboo.

I took a clumping kind of bamboo [Bambusa malingensis (Sea Breeze Bamboo)], a 10 foot culm and cut it off. I then cut about 2 inches below each node, leaving 6 inches above the node. I then dipped them entirly in liquid rooting hormone. I then stuck them in damp-wet clay turface that is in a clear storage bin so the humidity is 95 to 100%.
Will I see these root and grow or am I going about this wrong?

Thanks for the answers.

The new bamboo guy,

-Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got good answers, heres a few more

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 21:28

Herbicides generally do not work on bamboo. If they did, people wouldn't be so petrified about it's reputed ability to spread.

As for propagation, you can not propagate running bamboo from culms, but you can propagate many clumpers, like the Bambusas. Check out the link below for ideas. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambusa propagation

o

Ok, again kudzu9, thanks. What I have is a Bambusas, so my method should work? The only thing Im thinking is they may not root till spring time and that my turface is not packed. I keep filling up the void in the middle of the stem with water.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 22:41

I'm not an expert on propagating Bambusas because they are a little too iffy to grow in my area. Propagation is always a crap shoot, but I think you have a chance of succeeding. I'd be interested to hear back from you on whether you succeeded. Good luck.

o

Your method is called double node propagation. I attended a class & this is what they taught: 1) only thick walled bambusas can be propagated via double node (textilis etc won't work), 2) cut 2 " below active node, 3) cut off branches & notch around the node, 4) go up to next node or 2 & cut again, 5) trim/prune branches & leaves but leave a few, 6) plant notched node a few inches below a combo of soil/mulch (heavy on the mulch), 7) keep moist/in shade. My hit rate is low. There are a lot better ways to propagate. Rgds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here