Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grooming a grove

Posted by hdesousa z6PA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 22:36

I have a 5 year old grove of an all green variety of Phyllostachys. (I'm going to try and identifying it next spring from clum sheaths). Last year it just about doubled in area to about 35ft X 25 ft. Largest culms are about 3/4" thick and 15+ ft tall. Almost no sunlight penetrates to the ground. I would like to easily walk through the grove yet try to grow the biggest culms possible - is there any harm in cutting out most the lesser culms that are probably 2-3 years old and 6-10 feet high? Also, is there a downside to cutting out rhizomes which within the grove, arch out of the ground just enough to trip you? Thanks.
Hansel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grooming a grove

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 07 at 15:42

Trim away! You won't hurt anything and you can do this any time of the year with any culms you want to get rid of. There is no downside.

o

Be aware that when you cut any rhizome within your grove, you are dividing one plant into two. This may leave a small specimen within the larger. I'm not saying it's a problem... I'm just saying...

o

Thanks. That's what I was wondering. Assuming the portions of the plant on both sides of the cut rhizome are well established, will removing the segment of exposed rhizome lead to smaller culms, from either the larger or smaller part of the plants?
What do most growers do? Just leave the exposed rhizomes alone?
Hansel

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 07 at 20:26

Hansel-
I simply get rid of anything I don't want...culms and exposed rhizomes. If the rhizomes are putting up culms, they're generally well-established. Cutting off above-ground rhizomes won't hurt any adjacent culms on either side except, perhaps, ones "downstream" of the cut that are really young and have just come up.

When I'm pruning my groves, I often cut above ground rhizomes that are going directions I don't want them to, and I pull out the part of the rhizome just beyond the cut point to make sure I don't get unwanted culms. As tcstoehr points out above, you're dividing the plant in the ground when you simply cut the rhizome.

Don't over-intellectualize this. Prune out what you don't want and don't worry about it. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here