Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a potted P. Aurea (Golden Bamboo)

Posted by travelsfo CA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 22:41

I have some potted golden bamboos that are 15 feet tall in 24" square redwood planters. I'd like them to fill in more quickly towards the top. Can I force this by doing a bit of pruning on the lower stems growing out of culms?

Does it hurt to do any pruning at this stage? The bamboo has been in the pots for about 8 months and seem to be doing well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a potted P. Aurea (Golden Bamboo)

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 23:23

Pruning of the lower culms is unlikely to do much if anything except permanently reduce the amount of foliage. Bamboo do not grow like bushes and trees. The culms will not get taller or larger in diameter than what they are during the year they come up, and they will also not add branches due to pruning. The bamboo is doing what it wants to do, and you can't do much to influence it. You can prune whatever you want, but that growth will be gone forever, and you shouldn't expect to get new growth in another part of the plant as a result of pruning.

o

Kudzu,
Thanks for the quick response. I will probably go about fertilizing and maintaining it and see what happens this Spring.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 28, 09 at 13:54

Proper fertilizer -- I use a handful of slow release fertilizer, like Osmocote, twice a year -- and proper watering is your best bet. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here