Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wrong leaves?

Posted by basementherbalists 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 22:52

Last summer I bought a Black bamboo and it started spreading about 2 months ago. I have it in a pot right now, but all the leaves are very long and unlike the short fat leaves on the plant, I am wondering if this could be some other kind of bamboo. Thanks to any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wrong leaves?

It is possible that you do have another type growing with your black, but I think that you would have seen some growth before now, as it would have died without some part of the plant being above ground level.

My black, and a few other phyllostachys of mine, sometimes put up 'thin' shoots that will also have thinner than normal leaves. Usually caused by stress in growing conditions, either a lack of water for a long period of time before shooting, or perhaps a lack of growing space as is the case when grown in a pot.

Kt

o

THe "different leaves" is the rhizone.
It hit the side of your pot and grew up.
You have to plant your black boo in a REALLY big pot, such as a half barrel, and even that will keep it happy for about 2-3 years.
Black bamboo isn't the best species to pot grow.
I know, I tried it.
So, next spring, buy a half barrel and replant it.
Then, watch your boo grow! It certainly will!
GOod Luck!
Oh, by the way, if all of it's leaves fall off in early spring, like April, that is normal. They grow back fast.

o

well the pot I have it in is already pretty large barrel, and all the new clums are comming up in the middle, not on the sides. So I'm going to plant it in the ground next spring. thanks for all the help.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 17:45

If you're in USDA 4 it won't be hardy outside. But maybe you are saying you are in Sunset 4.

o
help!

if u cut bamboo leaves, will they grow back, or continue to turn brown at the ends

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here