Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find oldhamii for large planting.

Posted by loniemck 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 23:07

I am planning to plant several acres with large timber bamboo. I have had good results with oldhamii in my yard. Would like suggestions on where to locate plant starts. Is there a grower supply like agri-starts for bamboo. Or a large volume wholesaler.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find oldhamii for large planting.

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 14:12

loniemck-
Bamboo are typically not available as "starts" becasue they rarely produce seeds, and they are very hard to tissue culture. Plants that you buy, wholesale or retail, are mainly whole-plant divisions from larger plants. However, it is possible to propagate them from rhizome divisions, or from nodes in the case of certain clumping bamboo, including B. oldhamii. Unfortunately, I do not know of a source for large numbers of small plants at a reasonable cost. I know of only one nursery that is doing tissue culture of bamboo on a large scale, but I don't know if they produce oldhamii, or even if you would be able to purchase from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boo-Shoot Gardens

o

Thanks that is a great article. Boo-Shoot Garden also has a good video on thier site.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 2:23

loniemck-
Yes, that is a good article, and thanks for the tip about the video...I'll check it out.

o

I have bought oldhamii in the SF bay area before. I believe there's a nursery in Redwood city. Also try the bamboo farms in Sebastopol, Ca (close to Santa Rosa Ca). I'm sure you can google the place. They used to be (&probably still are the largest bamboo nursery in the US.)
Hope this helps...you might also call the "Half Moon Bay Nursery" in Half Moon Bay, Ca. They could direct you...they're wonderful
Connie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here