Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help bugs infested my spectabilis

Posted by calltc1983 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 0:04

I have some strange bugs on my Spectabilis and it is dying although I am not sure if the bug is the actual reason it is dying. I recently left town for a few days and my girlfreind moved the plant right above the heater so its had a constant blast of heat right on it. Also I have not planted it outside yet because winter is quickly approaching although I know Spectabilis are cold hardy bamboo it is a young plant and I don'tt want risk killing so I put it in what I had for now which is a 10gallon pot until I get a bigger one and then in spring plant it outside. But it has been in this small pot for a couple months now so I'm thinking this could be another reason it is dying. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Also I have 2 other plants within a foot of this plant and they are not affected with bugs they are a Ivy and a musa basjoo

here are pics http://postimage.org/gallery/act7h8ya/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help bugs infested my spectabilis

Those look like aphids of some type and I doubt if they are the reason for your bamboo to look that way.

It looks like the extended heat dried out the leaves, but as long as the soil/roots/rhizomes did not dry out, the plant should come back but you will need to put it in a better place. Try somewhere warm with some direct sunlight for a while until it recovers.

Good Luck

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here