Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huachuma

Square stem...

huachuma
17 years ago

My potted Chimonobambusa quadrangularis is just beginning to shoot during the past month. This surprises me a bit in that I've had the plant for about a year and a half now with little evidence of new growth. It's been looking healthy enough, but I'd been waiting all spring and summer for it to do something. Then around Thanksgiving, when the mild freezes began, it started 3 new shoots. These are now about 4' tall and don't seem to be negatively impacted by lows down to about 28F. I live in the Sacramento, CA area (zone 9). Is this common for this species?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (3)

• inversa
    17 years ago

i believe that 'chimonobambusa' means 'winter bamboo', the name given to this genus because they generally shoot in very late fall or early winter so yours is living up to the name. for this reason it is tough to try them outdoors in areas with freezes, they can adjust their shooting schedule over time but the growth mode then becomes more survival than vigorous.

• huachuma
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Inversa,

It appears you're right! See the following link... It's funny because from what I've read, this species doesn't appear to do well in zones not that much cooler than my own.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Root words

• new2bamboo
    17 years ago

I live in the Rocklin area. Most of my bamboo I'm growing will go to Chico, but if you you're looking for something, I have about 8 types and will trade for something if it works for you. I have a bunch of new very large Henon. 15 gallon - 24" boxes, 1.5" plus culms up to 25 feet, after cutting 10+ off the top. Most I've cut down to around 10 feet with similar culm diameters(1 to 2 culms in pot)left the branches. I have 3 other nigra's but can't share till next year and I have walking stick that I might be able to separate. Others aren't ready to break up yet.
    I can also get aurea up to 40 feet and 3 inches diameter (biggest I've read about.) Local in a 300 x 60 foot grove. I have a 15 gallon I dug from it with a 1.25+ in culm that is 20+ after 10 feet cut off the top. let me know if your want to trade.
    If anyone else wants to trade for theses types. I know these are large to ship so may be a problem. But I've had good luck with Bamboo buddy style cut he culms down and ship. It seems to grow great that way. Just looks bad till new shoots come up.
    I also have a friend in the S.F. area that wants textilis and ph nigra removed. I have some of each. His Textilis is huge. About 35-40 feet and 1.5+ inches. 2 patches around 6'x6' each. Very tough digging but transplants easy. I did a 100lb root ball with 3 culms 25 feet tall in 105 degree heat and drove them back to Rocklin wrapped in shipping plastic and they survived. The giant nigra bunch didn't( learned more water) and cloud cover or bamboo buddy cut off would have worked. As you can see I get about half my bamboo free and have learned to transplant pretty well. I've got a 31 inch box of Robert Young also.
    Let me know if you want to trade something. I'm looking mainly for timber sizes as I have about an acre I'm going to use for bamboo in Chico. I might also put some along the creekside. (But there I have to worry about power lines. (40 feet high)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz