Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo in the Desert?

Posted by azerik z7 AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 3:30

Hello everyone, I hear alot about the cold tolerance of bamboo but how about heat tolerance? I live in Phoenix Arizona, where the heat in the summer can reach 115 easily with no humidity. Are there any bamboo that can survive or even thrive in this? I've had plants do well indoors in a very controlled enviroment, but are there any that I can plant outside? Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo in the Desert?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 4:20

I checked the ABS suppliers list and there is one ABS-listed Arizona bamboo nursery -- Bamboo Ranch in Tucson. They don't appear to have a web site, but their listing mentions that they have over 100 species: "Desert grown for the Southwest." Maybe a call to them (520-743-9879) might be helpful.

o

Phyllostachys decora, from my own studies, seems to be oe of the better choices.

o

In one of the Saguaro National Parks there is a lake with bamboo growing up to the waterline.

It was on the other side of the lake but caught my eye instantly. It was too far away to see any details so I do not know what kind it was, but probably a Phyllostachys.

I have many bamboos here and they do very well in the heat, up to the low 100's but we have very high humidity most of the time, making it feel more like 120F.

Kt

o

I've had good results with the Golden Bamboo in large containers.
Here's a website that lists bamboo for desert climates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo for the desert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here