Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Barriers

Posted by oddnumber none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 5:51

Morning all, I hope you all had a good Christmas.

I have a question about installing barriers around my Golden bamboo if I may. I planted, rather naively, a 10 metre row of Golden bamboo last June without installing barriers to control spread (purely becasue I had realised it might be a problem).

Is it too late to add barriers around it now? Or is it closing the gate after the horse has bolted, so to speak? If it isn't too late what might be the best way to retro-install some?

Many thanks for any help :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Barriers

It usually takes a couple of years before it travels much, so putting it in now will be fine. Below is a link that shows how to install barrier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barrier

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 16:07

o

Here's the reason why I never use any barriers on my bamboos. It makes them choke themselves out and eventually run out of space. Rhizome pruning, and taking out chunks of the bamboo over time is much more sustainable.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of bamboo barrier

o

You probably already have some rhizomes escaping out into your yard, but it's not a big deal. You will hit them while diging your trench to install the barrier. Once you hit one, be sure to dig it up from the yard side of the trench so it does not continue to grow. I started with 12' tall clumps of bamboo, and within the first year, I had several rhizomes running out 4 feet or so into the yard. When I see shoots start coming up, I go dig the rhizome up and cut it back into the grove area.

o

Thanks chaps. I planted them as mentioned last May, and they were around 8' high - they've certainly filled out and I still have shoots popping up now, even in Winter.

The things that concerns me is the likelihood of them escaping into neighbouring yards and taking over!

I guess I can just cut through any rhizomes that I encounter - would that stop it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here