Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_derek

Container bamboo in 4a?

TheDerek
10 years ago

I am interested in growing a container bamboo in Bismarck ND, as a centerpiece to a rock garden in my yard. I would like something with large shoots that grows fast. I am planning on planting it in a half of a 50 gallon plastic barrel, buried in the ground so that the container is not noticable. Ideally I would like to leave it in the ground and just cut the plant down for the winter, and then let it regrow in the spring. Will a plant survive and continue to be healthy if handled like this? Will a container plant, in the ground and mulched well (4-6 inches of wood chips on top of the soil) survive winters where temps can reach -30F? I could also cut a piece of foam insulation and cover the container with that if necessary, to keep out the harshest of cold.

The drum I would like to use will be about 2' wide and 2.5' deep, with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. Will a large bamboo like Incense Bamboo become rootbound quickly and need to be removed, thinned and repotted often?

How about soil to use in the container? My yard is a heavy clay, would a soil-less mix be best?

Sorry for so many questions, Im new to bamboo so I have a lot to learn...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms