Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container bamboo in 4a?

Posted by TheDerek none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 10:03

I am interested in growing a container bamboo in Bismarck ND, as a centerpiece to a rock garden in my yard. I would like something with large shoots that grows fast. I am planning on planting it in a half of a 50 gallon plastic barrel, buried in the ground so that the container is not noticable. Ideally I would like to leave it in the ground and just cut the plant down for the winter, and then let it regrow in the spring. Will a plant survive and continue to be healthy if handled like this? Will a container plant, in the ground and mulched well (4-6 inches of wood chips on top of the soil) survive winters where temps can reach -30F? I could also cut a piece of foam insulation and cover the container with that if necessary, to keep out the harshest of cold.

The drum I would like to use will be about 2' wide and 2.5' deep, with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. Will a large bamboo like Incense Bamboo become rootbound quickly and need to be removed, thinned and repotted often?

How about soil to use in the container? My yard is a heavy clay, would a soil-less mix be best?

Sorry for so many questions, Im new to bamboo so I have a lot to learn...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container bamboo in 4a?

I would plant a Fargesia as many are listed to -20F and that is for above ground growth so the underground part of the plant should survive.

I have a friend that grows Fargesia rufa 'Green Panda' in Wisconsin, zone 5 and never covers it or anything and it never loses it's leaves, even with temps down below 0 and being buried under snow sometimes for days. There are several other Fargesias that get taller.

Fargesias are clumpers so they would not need to be inside of a container.

I would not cut it down every year though since it will set the plant back and probably kill it eventually.

Most bamboos like well-drained soils but I have some growing heavy clay, but it does not stay moist for long periods which if it did, might harm the plant.

Mulch would definitely be a must for the plant especially in it's first few years.

One other idea would be to remove the pot each year and put it in a warmer area or greenhouse, etc, during the Winter and then put it back in the ground each Spring...just a thought, and I know it would be kind of heavy.
Kt

o
RE: Container bamboo in 4a?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 23:54

I wouldn't leave any bamboo outside in a pot in Zone 4.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here