Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo as windbreak???

Posted by greendumb 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 18, 10 at 13:48

Has anyone used or know of bamboo being a wind break.I am at 4500 ft,17 in rain in July,August and September.Occaisionally spring rain in April,May of 3-4 in.We get 6-700 chill hours and do get into the teens for lows in Dec,Jan,but only once every 7-8 years.I would like it to live on its own if possible after establishment.Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo as windbreak???

I use clumpers where possible but have them mixed with runners(inside barriers) for a north windbreak.

There are several runners that would do well in your area. How much area do you have for the bamboo to grow?

Kt

o

I wanted to possibly run a stretch 40 ft long on each side of a peach orchard.

o

I've had good success using Rubromarginata, a timber bamboo which can reach 50' tall but grows dense as a juvenile. To the north of the Rubro I ran another row of Bisettii which grows to 30' but stays dense. Both are some of the most cold hardy bamboos to be had.

o

K.t. - send me your new email ID. Rgds Fred

o

How wide of an area on each side of the orchard will it have to grow?

Fred, I can't send you an email through Gardenweb, as I can't change my email address in my profile for some reason.

I also do not have your address saved anywhere other than my old account which I can no longer access.

My new email address is the same except there are two underscores instead of one in front of the @.

Let me know.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here