Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johntommybob

Need advice on planting Bamboo

johntommybob
17 years ago

First, I live in the East Tennessee valley area. I want to plant some Bamboo for a privacy screen, maybe for about a 30 ft span. I know this fellow who has two or three stands of it and he told me to call him in early March and he would let me come out and dig up some roots to plant when it starts to sprout. I want to plant it along the edge of a woods. It will have southern exposure and a good amount of sun for most of the day. From what he said the type he has gets pretty tall: maybe 30 Ft. That's good as I do need it to be pretty high to get the effect I want. But I was just wondering how much I should plant to get a pretty good screen in a fairly short time. As I'm a senior citizen now I don't have forever to wait anymore.

Comments (2)

• inversa
    17 years ago

jtb - despite a reputation for spreading fast enough to eat the whole neighborhood, based on my experience you should expect it to take 3 years for bamboo to provide the screen you seek. i would suggest that you get 8 nice divisions and plant them on 4 foot centers to cover 30 feet. you can use more and plant on tighter centers to try to create the instant screen if you are allowed to dig enough and wish to put out the effort. you could even dig a 30 foot trench and put the roootballs in abutting each other for a decent screen but each division will require about 2-3 years to store up enough energy reserves to begin producing canes the size of the ones that you originally dig and to fill the gaps in between. in year 3 it will take off and you should have a nice screen even if you started on 4 foot centers.

the advantage to getting it locally is that you should be able to know if it is hardy enough to stay evergreen. do not wait until it sprouts to dig, that is a bad idea, rather dig just before it should beging sprouting, probably mid-march in your area. dig from the outer edge of the grove and be sure to get large rootballs. others may weigh in here with their digging tips, the important things are digging from the outer edge of the grove, getting rootballs of an appropriate size (my guide is to maintain a rootball size equal to 8 times the diameter of the canes, all the way around the canes. in other words if you dig a single cane division of a 1 inch diameter cane, make sure that the rootball is at least 8 inches away from the cane on all sides, translating roughly into a 16 inch diameter rootball for a 1 inch cane), dig on an overcast day if possible, keep the rootball moist and do not leave the foliage exposed on the drive home, wrap it up well.

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

Also, the bigger diameter culm you can get the better and faster it will grow. I got via mail order a cheap size (TINY!) of some timber bamboo (P. Vivax) and it was so puny it died after the first winter. If you have to dig the bamboo yourself, I found the easiest way to do it is, get some hand pruner, and when you hit an underground running root, clip it with the pruner. The first time I dug bamboo it took me a half hour to slice through it with a shovel. With a pruner it's snipped in no time. May want to look for some bisetti, it is a fast grower I hear. Also makes a good screen too. Good luck!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus