Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever seen P Nigra (HENON) in yellow?

Posted by mersiepoo 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 22, 06 at 14:39

But the older canes are turning yellow! I don't think they are dead, but it seems that instead of turning gray-ish, they are turning a bright yellow. I had waited 3 years to see the gray bamboo, am a little bummed out the nursery didn't sell me what I wanted. I would send you a link to the picture, but my digital camera has bad solid state technology and sucks my batteries dry if I leave them in the camera. When I get new batteries, I'll send a link to the picture. Anyone know what the bamboo might be? It's not the hardiest bamboo, I do think it's zone 7 (like the tag says it is). I overwintered the canes by using plastic so they wouldn't winter kill and I could see if it's really gray.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever seen P Nigra (HENON) in yellow?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 22, 06 at 20:49

Bamboo ID is hard to do sometimes even with pictures; without pictures it could be any of a dozen. In any case, if those culms are turning yellow, you're correct...it's not henon. If you can get a picture posted some time, maybe we can actually figure out the species.

o

Just about all the green Phyllostachys will turn yellow with sun exposure. Are you sure this is not the problem?

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 23, 06 at 23:09

Check out the below link. If this was just planted in the last couple years, it will not have grey culms. That culms with age. rfgpitt's statement sounds the most logical.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous henon talk

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 24, 06 at 15:41

It's true that many Phyllostachys turn yellow with strong sun exposure; I've just never seen that with henon...but that may just be me. I suggest that you check out the pictures at www.bambooweb.info to see how that compares to what you have.

o

Hi everyone! Thank you for replying to me. I still haven't gotten batteries yet. I did find a neat bamboo that I may try, it's called 'tiger'. Supposedly it gets black spots on the culms that appear a few months after it shoots up in the spring. So at least you don't have to wait so long (or forever, maybe!) to see the interesting mottling. I know it's not black or gray, but it's different! It is zone 7 however, but even if it winter kills, it'll come back and you'll get some tiger bamboo to enjoy for the year.

RFGPitt, the sun exposure may be an issue, because it gets full sun and is not shaded by anything (other than itself). If we don't get subzero temps this winter, hopefully I'll be able to figure out if it really is henon or not. I am suspicious that it may be an aureosulcatus (sp?). I'm just glad it's growing for now, I may try to get a fast growing variety (like bisetti or something) to cover up our view of our neighbor's dump.

lkz5ia, thank you for the link to the past conversations about henon! :) The more info I can get the better. :) I love the colorful bamboo so much!

kudzu9, Thanks for the link to bamboowebinfo! I'll be checking those out for a new cultivar to buy!

When I get my hiney in gear, I'll post some pics of the 'boo.

Have a great New Year everyone! Thanks for the advice and info. It is greatly appreciated.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Phyllostachys nigra 'Bory'.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here