Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guyfrom505

What will cold weather leaf loss look like?

guyfrom505
17 years ago

I'm sorry I have lots of questions here. I appreciate any general winter advice as well. What will cold weather leaf damage look like? Will damage be immediate or will it take a few days, or even weeks to be seen? Where my bamboo (P. Nigra and P. Aurea) are planted it appears that the ground (or at least the mulch layer, about 5 inches) will be frozen for a few months. It is on the north side of a building and even though high temps here have been in the upper 40s the ground is still below freezing. The coldest temp so far was this morning, about 13 degrees. The area is somewhat protected from most winds, at least direct winds. Also, what type of watering schedule should I follow? And should I water at all when ground temp is below freezing? I think, well watered plants overwinter better is that correct? Should I measure the below ground tempature? I do know that the air is very dry here (Albuquerque) and evaporation (or sublimation) is still taking place. I spilled some water on concrete near my plants and it froze up, but evaporated without ever melting. I know fruit growers spray trees on very cold nights does anyone use that method to insulate bamboo or would that make things worse or cause damage due to the weight of the ice? I know this was kind of rambling but I have never grown anything at all and this is my first winter with bamboo. THANKS! :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored