Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

General question about Fishpole Bamboo

katefisher
16 years ago

I am relatively new to growing bamboo. We have two Fishpole bamboo and one Black Nigra planted in a side flower bed. They have been growing well since planting (less than two years) and seem happy. My question is about the Fishpole Bamboo. During the summer I water them about two or three times a week. But despite varying my watering routine they constantly drop leaves. I mean the plants are clearly growing and very vigorous. But there is a perpetual pile of dropped yellow leaves at the base.

I have tried slowing way down on the watering. However when I do this the leaves start to curl as if they are overheated and dry. The really strange part is that now in the middle of winter the plants have not dropped leaves at all. They look great. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Kate

Comments (7)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

As long as the bamboo has plenty of leaves, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bamboo does shed it's leaves, like any other plant, maybe this is what you are talking about?

Kt

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

Any time bamboo leaves curl in on themselves, it means they're parched and trying to conserve water, so water the plant. Brown leaf tips is a sign of over-watering.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Somehow they are not getting enough water during summer. Maybe you are not watering effectively, so that despite the frequency the soil is actually too dry much of the time. If you are waiting until the soil has already first gotten dried out by seasonal conditions and then putting on small amounts each time not adequate to re-wet the entire root zone then that would explain the response you are seeing. Next year try digging test holes around the plants and looking at the soil to see what the moisture situation is. You may find you are keeping a shallow upper surface layer damp and the rest is dust.

Shading the soil with mulch can do quite a bit to retard drying due to the sun striking it directly and baking it.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you folks for your responses. Been away for Christmas myself so I just read your thoughts.

Kt:

You no doubt have a point there. That was kind of what I'm trying to determine. I mean if constant leaf drop during the growing season is normal then I'm good. What I can't figure is why I lose leaves during the warm season but not in fall, winter or spring.

kuduz:

Thanks. I don't recall tip browning during any time of the year. So maybe a wee daily drink is not as good as maybe two or three times a week deep watering.

bboy:

Some very good perspectives there. I will get my trowel out next spring and investigate more closely. The good news is they look really good now even after being snowed on. Better now than during high summer.

Thanks all.

Kate

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

We have a summer dry season and a winter wet season up here, too.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

By the way, if you do anymore posting here the tendency is to use USDA Hardiness Zones rather than Sunset Climate Zones to give participants from elsewhere some idea of your conditions.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have never used the Sunset Climate zone that I'm aware of. My USDA Hardiness Zone is between 7 - 8 for zip code 95971.

Kate

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting