Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

Non-Invasive Hardy Bamboo for 6b?

daniellalell
16 years ago

I am trying to figure out what kind of bamboo to get that would be hardy in my zone, 6b (Central Jersey)..that isn't too invasive, is a fast grower height wise, and only grows to about 12 ft. I want to use it as a privacy screening/fence. If need be I plan on putting them in containers to control running.

Am interested in the Fargesias, but havent figured which one yet? And don't know how invasive they are.

Would they stay up during the winter or need to be cut down in the fall? I am hoping on something that can stay up all winter, and then I can cut back in spring if need be for new growth? I hardly know anything about bamboos as I have just started researching so any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Daniella

Comments (10)

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

What - ya posted this 2 days ago? And no answer yet? (sarcastic grin)

Ya got more feedback faster about Bamboo over on the Brug forum! (grinning huge)

Just too funny. . . .

Everyone must be busy.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

None of the Fargesia run and a few of them are the most hardy species grown in western gardens. See American Bamboo Society Bamboo online Species Source List for comparative tables.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Dweeb!!
    Thank you BBoy!
    Daniella

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Fargesis are beautiful, but are not tall growers in northern climates.My "scabrida" and "robusta" turn all yellow at 0.F, my fargesia rufa stays green but will probably top at 6 ft. in zone 6.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

12' is not tall for a bamboo. The 3 species you have listed are not the entire genus.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Nucci.

BBoy,
    I dont want anything taller than 12'. I still need sun in my yard, lol. I just want to know, from others experiences which Fargesia would be best for my situation. I need a privacy screen, but not over 12'. These will run along a 6' stockade fence, which I just want taller. Also dont want something bushy..just 10-12' tall..would be nice to stay green all winter, but if it browns and I need to trim down in spring for new growth thats fine, as long as it will grown back up to 10-12' quickly.
    What do you suggest?
    Thank You,
    Daniella

• nucci60
    16 years ago

I also have pseudosasa japonica (arrow bamboo) which will get to be 12 feet in our zone, but it is a runner which people claim to be easily controlled. long, almost palm like leaves, very nice. Mine is young and turned yellow at about 0. f.Came back strong this spring.My fargesias came from a great ebay seller(philin shelton) from washington state.Thet grow better in zone 8 than zone 6.MOST tall growing bamboos in our zone are runners.Tere are people much more informed about bamboo that maybe can help you more.I really love bamboo, and bananas.

• tnangela
    16 years ago

I agree with the Japanese Arrow Bamboo suggestion from above. It is used much for screening around here. It's slightly invasive but not as bad as some others.

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

You are zone hadicapped. Don't be afraid of runners when the bamboo bug gets ya.

• firemountain
    15 years ago

I am up here in northern NJ and just planted 16 Fargesia Scabrida plants (2 gallon pot size) that I bought from the bamboo garden. I spaced them approx. 4-5 ft. apart to achieve a nice screen in a shorter amount of time. While the height in our area is still unknown, I am figuring that they should grow to 10-14 ft.

I am a newbie to growing bamboo, but am looking to learn as much as possible. I will let you know how I make out as the summer progresses. If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a shout and ask