Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quaykat

Black Bamboo in zone 5a

quaykat
17 years ago

I live in zone 5a (Chicago, next to the lake). I have many different types of bamboo thriving in my yard. I tried an experiment this summer by planting a black bamboo knowing full well that it may not survive the winter. It has a good root system (5 gallon root ball) and it's a good 6 feet high and very healthy. I mulched it real well, maybe 6-8 inches of large cedar mulch. It is against a brick wall so it is somewhat protected from wind.

My question is: is there anything else I can do to protect it and enhance its chance for surviving? Would wrapping it in burlap help inulate it?

I know its hard to say without seeing it but any dialog might help.

thanks.

Comments (5)

• oppalm
    17 years ago

what about trying to bring it inside into a garage or basement.

As far as wrapping it - why not. anything you can do to keep it warmer is going to help. you also might try to wrap it with mini-christmas lights and cover on the coldest of nights for extra protection. Good luck.

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

Hi! I THINK I planted black bamboo (henon- it's supposed to be gray), but it was said survive to zone 7. One year I got about 3 feet of leaves and mulched around the plants, held there with a big collar of black garden weed barrier and some rope, like a giant rose collar. We actually had a cold winter that year, and what was not covered by the leaves died. Another year I got some sheets of plastic (you can get them for free if you have a Lowe's store by you), and cut some wooden stakes and enclosed the bamboo in the plastic. This worked better, as you can protect more bamboo. Even if the tops die, it will spring up again next year. I think I was given the wrong bamboo, because the bamboo is turning yellow instead of gray. >:hope this helps! Keep us updated!

• brg5001
    17 years ago

I understand that you would see damage to Phyllostachys nigra at 10 degrees F but that theoretically it can survive to 5 degrees F. How has it been going so far by the Lake in Chicago? I know that it's not recommended below zone 7 so keep us updated... Zone 5a could be a challenge, with or without Christmas lights!

Brian G.
    http://beachbamboo.net

• stockwell
    17 years ago

Grab all the culms as one bunch and secure it right to the ground. Try shoveling as much snow on it to insulate it. I did this last year with a robert young and a henon and both survived as green as can be. This year- thus far- in the Northeast we've been pretty lucky, temps still very mild, all the boo is looking excellent. Check it out
    {{gwi:427644}}
    Left to right, henon, bissetii, viridiglaucescens, congesta
    {{gwi:427645}}

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Laying down and covering is same procedure as overwintering roses in cold climates. You can get the hint just watching what happens when substantial snow comes with a cold spell, as it did here recently. I was wondering why the ends of the front side only of a Borinda I planted a few years ago at a friends place came through green, the rest burned up. Then I realized that was the portion that caught the snow and bent down to the ground.

Hope all those Phyllostachys have barriers between them to keep them from running together.

Sponsored