Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stockwell_gw

Sparrow problem

stockwell
17 years ago

I just noticed a ton of new leaf drop among my bamboo and discovered that sparrows seem to be simply biting them off and causing this. I'm even finding small branchlets with multiple leaves atached leading me to believe that it is indeed the birds. Seems as though they are attracted to my neighbors yard directly behind the boo because they are feeding them. I can hear dozens of the flapping around in the canopy. The amount of droppings they are leaving behind is also worrying me, not only for health concerns for me an my pets, but also for what this may do to the soil and the plants. Anyone know why they are defoliating my bamboo?

Comments (12)

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

Have you observed them doing this? I'm not saying it's not so, but I'm surprised if it is. Could the leaf drop be seasonal and/or due to cold weather? How long do birds hang around in your Zone as winter approaches?

• stockwell
    Original Author
    17 years ago

None of my other plants are dropping any leaves, besides it's been pretty mild here in the North East. As I mentioned, I'm finding little branches with multiple leaves on them. I'l post some pics. later. Thanks for response Kudzu. The birds hang around all year also.

• stockwell
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is A picture, note all the droppings.
    {{gwi:427663}}

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

Stockwell-

Very weird. Those leaves look otherwise healthy. If the birds were "harvesting" them for nest building or insulation, you wouldn't think they'd waste them by dropping them on the ground. And, if they were going after bugs or aphids, I wouldn't think they would cause so much destruction. I'm stumped about whether it's the birds or something else...

• stockwell
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The neighbor has agreed to remove the feeder, hopefully they'll depart once the food is gone......unless of course it's the bamboo. Stay tuned.

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

I wouldn't doubt them snipping it off. How high off the ground are the clippings coming from? Sparrows are flying mice. The bird droppings looks like good fertilizer. Why do you think it'll hurt the bamboo? Living on a farm, I notice sparrow poop all around me, yet I'm not scared of bird poop. I would be more scared shaking a human's hand. Most likely, you would get sicker by doing the latter rather than the former.

• stockwell
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did a quick net search and read that their droppings could carry diseases and parasites like rodent droppings. Aside from the mess, they're really doing a number on the bamboo, I'm starting to notice it thinning out quite a bit. I suppose the poop may actually fertilize the boo so I guess I'm not to concerned about that. I'm just puzzled as to why they would be cutting the leaves, I never had this problem before.

• new2bamboo
    17 years ago

Try putting a blow up Owl out there and move it daily.

Sorry if this is not PC, but a airsoft gun will take them out. But do it while the neighbor isn't around. You can get biodegradable ammo. I'm sure after a few drop, they'll go somewhere else.
    Try the owl first.

• stockwell
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I like the owl idea, I'll give it a try.
    Too many houses and people to be whipping out any kind of gun around here......unfortunatly.

• hoke
    17 years ago

I have this same problem, sparrows clipping off individual leaves and small branches with multiple leaves. Strangely, though, they only do this to my Beechiana and Oldhamii.

At first I thought it was rats, since I've caught a few rats eating the new (4 to 5 foot tall) Oldhamii shoots. But I believe I trapped all the roof rats in the vicinity, and the only things left that could be doing this are the dozens of sparrows that hang out in the bamboo. I must admit I haven't actually seen them do it, however.

I think there's something in the small nodes on these two species of bamboo that tastes good to sparrows. Sugar, maybe?

• HU-842253246
    2 years ago

Sparrows strip hundreds of leaves off my bamboo & just drop the leaves into the pot. They even squabble over who’s going to strip a particular leaf. I’ve shooed them off the plant numerous times but it has made no difference.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

I don't have problems with birds going after my many bamboo, but I do have problems with animals going after the leaves and fruit on some of my trees. I have found that lightweight bird netting is nearly invisible, and very effective at deterring birds and deer from damaging plants/shrubs/trees. You could get some, drape it over the bamboo for a while, and remove it when the bamboo recovers to see if the sparrows are leaving it alone. This is the type I use:

Bird netting

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor