Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on Sweet Shoot Bamboo

Posted by l_james mo5 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 20, 09 at 21:08

This year I planted some Sweet Shoot Bamboo that I bought from One Green World.
They state that in China "it is called Vegetqable Bamboo".
Does anyone eat this? And if so how is it harvested and prepared?
This past week I was offered to "take as much as you want" from a 50 foot long patch of bamboo that looks similar but I'm not sure. If I compare the leaves side by side can I determine if the bamboos are the same? The person who planted them has recently passed away, he was elderly, and no one knows anything about them.
I'm new to the bamboo forum. Any help or insight will be very much appreciated. - Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on Sweet Shoot Bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 14:44

Jim-
Many bamboo look the same to the inexperienced eye (and even to the experienced eye, sometimes!). So I doubt you can do a positive ID. Most bamboo shoots are edible, but some are "sweeter" than others. They need to be harvested at the right time -- when the shoots are 6" tall or less, and still tender. And they need to be peeled and boiled to destroy certain bitter-tasting and/or toxic chemicals, and to make them easier to digest. Below is a link to a short brochure which should answer all your questions about bamboo shoots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo shoots

o
RE: Questions on Sweet Shoot Bamboo

Thank you. That answers my questions. - Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here