Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
golden goddess and alphonse karr rootball

Posted by ruben796 california '10' (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 22:00

hello,i need some help with a couple questions please.i have 2 bambusa multiplex golden goddess and 1 alphonse karr which are in the ground about 8 inches from a cement border thats about 7 or 8 inches tall and about 3 inches wide it separates our propety from neighbors with chainlink fence on top of that small cement border its about 30 feet long,my question is will the pressure of the rootball from either goddess or karr break that cement border??and my other question is that i put some cement garden edgers laying the flat way on top of the space between bamboos and that darn lil cement border so that no culms grow there ,will that help make rootball not as strong when it does reach border and will that hurt bamboo by not allowing culms to grow on that side of bamboo? sorry i know its alot to answer but i need the help and knowledge you guys have. thank you i got pictures but i have to figure out how to put on here,i can use help with that also if u would like to see pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: golden goddess and alphonse karr rootball

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 22, 09 at 3:47

First, you've got clumpers and I think they will expand slowly until they get to the concrete border, and then flatten up against it. I can't guarantee it won't break it, but I doubt it. I did see a very large clump oif Alphonse Karr a couple of years ago that was in a planting strip about 2' wide: on one side was a building with a concrete foundation and on the other side was a sidewalk. The clump was obviously quite old, the planting strip had pretty much filled up, and the root ball had sort of bulged up a little at the edge of the sidewalk...but it didn't go further or damage the concrete. Now I know that a cement border is different from a sidewalk, but I am still of the opinion that you'll be ok.

As for the edgers you laid down, they won't weaken the bamboo, but I don't think they'll do anything to prevent growth. Over time, the bamboo will probably just push up the pavers.

You have a big advantage over those of us who grow runners: you know that you are not going to get culms coming up feet away from the rootball, and whatever the plant does in terms of growth will be slow. If, in some future year, the bamboo looks like it is starting to crack the border, you can just cut out a portion of the root ball and culms on that side of the clump. It will be hard work, but it's not like you'll wake up some day and be surprised about what's happening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here