Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
permajamie

Best Bamboo for zone 9/10

permajamie
14 years ago

I am looking for the best bamboo to grow for zone 9-10. I would be on the cusp of 9 and 10. I've never grown bamboo before so any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

There are hundreds of varieties of bamboo that will do well in your area.

What do you want it to do? Be a visual screen? Have as an accent plant?

How short/tall would you like it to be? What color culms are you looking for, green, yellow, yellow and green, blue, black, etc.?

Kt

• permajamie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Only requirement is that it is edible. Asthetics don't really matter. I am growing it for an animal sanctuary. I am not sure how invasive they really are? If they are used a lot would the one's that are considered invasive in a home garden be okay in a mass planting?

• alan_l
    14 years ago

Edible by humans, or what type of animal? I've read other people's posts that their bamboo will never spread into the horse pasture (because they eat every shoot). Same for goats I think I read too.

• amy_c_gardener
    14 years ago

Edible bamboo..That really sounds interesting. Did you find the one that you were looking for? I am really curious about edible bamboos.

• permajamie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well I think most bamboo is edible (except for the North American bamboos). You can find bamboo shoots in most asian restaurants. So good!

• pinkswine
    14 years ago

Phyllostachys dulcis is supposed to be particularly tasty. I personally don't eat bamboo so I wouldn't know about itÂs taste. I do have a young dulcis bamboo growing in my yard which seems to be doing quite well. I am quite fond of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phyllostachys dulcis

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio