Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best cheap hardy bamboo for ohio

Posted by josephfernwalt 7 (micro climate) (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 16, 09 at 22:27

What is the best cheap hardy bamboo I don't really have any prefrences on runner and clumper. also does anyone have any for sale or know were any is for sale for cheap.
I live in ohio.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best cheap hardy bamboo for ohio

What are your plans for the bamboo? Single plant? Grow it in a pot? Hedge? Visual screen? Color? Height?

Kt

o

All of the above and then A grove I live in the country in have a lot of room. I cuurently only am working (or trying to work with) moso. Anyway I don't wouldn't mind black (nigra) buddha belly and blue bamboo. Also I know about all the runner bamboos. If i could get a hold of some nice size moso plants or rhizomes that would be a dream come true. So really i'm looking for anything hardy. Or if your not looking to trade or sell if I could have some advice on what's good for my situation. Any more questions i'll be glad to answer.

o

What's "blue bamboo"? The common names for different species are always difficult, as what somebody knows as "blue bamboo" may not be the same as what others know. If you're really zone 7, then from what I've read you may have a chance to get some relatively decent size out of moso, but if you're not warm enough it just won't size up. If you want big culms, there are some other Phyllostachys species that can get pretty large too. Phy. makinoi, or Phy. nigra 'Henon'. Although I'm growing these, they're young divisions so it will be a few years before I know how large they'll get for me (a bit colder than you it seems).

o

By blue bamboo I'm refering to TEXTILIS.
Also even though i'm in ohio I checked my zipcode for USDA
hardiness zone and it said I was in zone 6-7 which is a micro zone. It also said I can grow all plants that can grow in zones 6 and 7.

o

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' growing in N.W. Ohio, I'm about ten mile south of the Michigan state line.

Frank

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I'm pretty sure that Textilis, Buddah Belly would both be killed back to the ground before Christmas each year anywhere in Ohio. This annual whacking keeps them very tiny.

I'm in southern Indiana and planted out some Buddah Belly 4 years ago as I was tired of them as huge houseplants and curious how many years they'd come back before finally dying off. They were planted as 25 gallon pots with canes about 15 feet tall. They usually are killed back by the first temp in the teens in November. The 3 springs after planting them they still produced new canes in May but are now about 3 feet tall at best. Curious to see if they come back a 4th time, already killed back again this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here