Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need ID

Posted by miketropic 6B - 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 22:58

this is the grove of an inlaws I can use to get some of my own. grove is about 15 years old. I would say 100' by 100' easy. most culms are around 20-25 ft tall and I am having a hard time finding smaller ones to harvest. the grove is very thick to a heavy runner I assume. cold hardy -5 easy. don't know what type it is though. any help and what to expect out of this type? I took some tiny shoots in the fall and there getting along ok this winter but Id like to get some big canes and get a good green screen started.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need ID

the whole grove

o

another pic to large to fit my hand around

This post was edited by miketropic on Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 23:02

o

last one

o

That's phyllostachys aureosulcata "yellow groove" bamboo, and it is the most common type in the northeast. This is more of a screening bamboo to fill in an area fairly quickly, and for bamboo, it doesn't really produce big canes as the size limit is typically under 2 inches in diameter.

If you really want size, then there are many bamboos that can get into the 3-4 inch range if you are in zone 6B-7. This includes, nigra henon, dulcis, prominens, vivax, iridescens, viridis, and a few others.

o

If I could make my own bamboo..probably yellow cane, green stripe about 4 inch around and 10-12 ft tall..anything in the world like that out there.. I'll look those up you mentioned and maybe find a few to plant in spring.

I am quessing this yellow groove spreads really fast and sends up tall culms soon? Id like the tiny ones I already have to send up some good shoots so I wont have to transplant as much in march. thanks alot steve

o

This type does seem to be one of the fastest spreading bamboos, and it will put up decent sized shoots pretty soon.

Bambusa ventricosa, bambusa vulgaris wamin, and moso heterocla may have to potential to reach great diameters and stay fairly short, but that wouldn't be possible on most bamboos that would thrive. Perhaps the type that has the least height with a huge diameter would be phyllostachys Shanghai 3, and I've seen it at nearly 3 inches by 25ft.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here