Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Now My Mom wants bamboo OHIO bamboo.

joefalco
18 years ago

I just got loaded up with bamboo and other plants (Thank Gene) I was talking with my mom about it and she said "do you think any of it would live here.. I would like to try it" I about fell on the floor.

She dosen't know bamboo from lucky bamboo, She said you mean outside bamboo trees, but it was cool that she wants to try it. Now what Bamboos do you recommend for an Ohio climate?

Comments (16)

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

What kind of bamboo did she want, clumping or running. When I told my mom about running bamboo I nearly scared her to death. Fargesia probably would grow in shade of trees in ohio. Some phyllostachys can survive in ohio, but I wouldn't recommend those without educating her on running boo.
    This website shows boo growing in warm zone 6 ohio.
    http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/81044/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow groove.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Fargesia nitida or Fargesia murieliae, both clumpers, are hardy to about minus 20 degrees F. Many other clumpers are not very hardy in Zone 6.

• rfgpitt
    18 years ago

joefalco,
    not many (if any) others in the tri-state / Ohio valley so I'll chime in. I'm in zone 5/6 near Pittsburgh. Print out a good species list w/ cold hardiness listings. Then krinkle it up in a ball and toss it... for us they are useless. I started in 2003 and have learned quite a bit. In our area we suffer a lot more from sustained cold, with wind, dry air and sun. Yellow Groove has a hardiness rating of -10f. Mature groves of it around here the past 2 winters got topkilled. Our coldest temps were above 0.

I would recommend:
    1. regardless of what you(she) chooses, get it in the ground after danger of frost in the spring to give it the best chance of survival.
    2. get the biggest plant possible
    3. make sure after she does her fall cleanup a few inches of mulch is put down.

I got a bissetti in the summer and hope it does ok. Fargesia robusta (got this year too) seems to be doing well. I plan on trying rubromarginata and maybe nuda. I have Yellow Groove that may get removed to make room for these. Keep me in mind in the spring, cause I may be getting rid of a bunch.

Rick

• Thuja
    18 years ago

LOL Rick. You had me going with "Print out a good species list..." Another thing you could do with the list is use it for extra mulch because you'll need it.

If your mom likes herbaceous perennials and wants big, semi-evergreen ones, then bamboo is the ticket. The only downside is there may be a lot of dead wood to cut out each spring.

• joefalco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Rick you know the EXACT same conditions she has since you are probobly within 45 minutes of her house in OHIO.

Thanks for the input, I would like to get her some bamboo, I think she would be fine with top kill as long as it comes back every year, She cuts down her ornimental grass every year.

I would love to get a start from you in the Spring. Anything thats hardy.

Thanks Again

• cliff98
    18 years ago

I live in Cincinnati, and only two cold-hardy clumpers perform well here, mainly due to summer heat and not winter cold.
    1. Fargesia robusta
    2. Fargesia rufa

For the Cincinnati area there are several running bamboos that do well.
    1.Phyllostachys aureosulcata
    2.P. bissetii
    3.P. nuda
    4.Pleioblastus viridistriatus
    5.Sasa palmata
    6.Indocalamus tessellatus
    7.Arundinaria gigantea (performs the best and is native).

All of those should be easy to find for a decent price.

• greenguy
    18 years ago

still loking for some taller ones for myself that will take the winters here (15 minutes south of cleveland)

seems many can stay alive but not thrive

I have almost given up - but would love to see what others are growing well.

Someone posted the link to the denver zoo which i may use to select a new boo this spring

i forgot who posted it but here is the link again

http://www.denverzoo.org/animalsplants/bamboo.htm

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

greenguy, what ones have failed for you?

• greenguy
    18 years ago

none so far but they are just not growing well

well none except the black that i did not expect to live but tried it anyway

It is going to be warm here the next few days so i'll try and snap a picture to show you how they look

yellow groove is the oldest and it is spreading but it is like a low growing, spreading shrub

• sandy2007
    16 years ago

Hello folks, I saw your postings about growings bamboo in Ohio zones. I'd like to grow it indoors in Ohio - in a pot - to replace a ficus that has outgrown its surroundings. I'd like to use bamboo (conceptually) because it grows upright and could be used to cover a window area - as does the ficus currently - in lieu of traditional window coverings. The window faces West and gets a lot of sun. What species would be suitable for the climate changes that happen indoors - heating and cooling seasonally? What are the root systems like? Any issues with potting bamboo? What do I need to do to prune it, control it and maintain it? Thanks for your help.

• HeideTurner
    12 years ago

So I googled "bamboo in Ohio" and stumbled into this thread. It's been a couple years for you all - - How's that Ohio bamboo doing? I am located in central Ohio, and am also interested in planting bamboo.

I'd love to hear how it's going for you.

• jeanshouse2013
    8 years ago

Where can I purchase bamboo in Ohio?

• User
    8 years ago

If you want to plant bamboo and you live in a Zone 7ish climate (or higher), and get a lot of annual precip. (45-50 inches and over), make SURE it is a clumping variety. (Fargesia rufa does fine form me). If not, the bamboo will inherit your corner of the planet and turn your yard into a bamboo jungle that you will live to regret!

Also keep in mind, the planting of running bamboos is illegal is certain townships.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

I'm not quite as alarmist about running bamboo. I've been growing many varieties for over 15 years and have not had it take over my yard or eat my dog, Running bamboo is easily controlled, either by rhizome pruning or by use of barrier. Yes, if you plant it and ignore it for ten years it could grow into areas you don't want it to. However, if bamboo were as aggressive as urban legend has it, everyone would be living in a bamboo forest.

• User
    8 years ago

I beg to differ, it is not "alarmist" to plant a HIGHLY INVASIVE species that outcompetes native vegetation. And yes, in many municipalities, it is illegal to plant running bamboo. Not easily controlled at all. Maybe it is different in the PNW, but not here.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

Ok...let's differ.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH