Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AE-AE transplant update

Posted by tlturbo2 10 SE FL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 15:30

If you remember, I posted last Feb about a situation I was facing where I had a mature AE-AE that had about 1 month old fruit on it and I was moving soon. What to do?? Various suggestions ranged from cutting down the mature stalk with the bananas to trying to transplant the whole thing.

I finally decided (with heavy heart) to cut off the bananas and cut down the mature stalk to almost ground level. Then I dug out the whole rootball and let it dry out. One section with 2- 6 inch pups broke off so I ended up with a large and a small clump. I put them in the garage for a couple weeks to dry out somewhat. After moving, they sat in the bright shade and got hit by the sprinklers. Just SAT there. After about 2 months, I was checking them and noticed new roots growing.

So I potted up the big corm in a pot and the small section in another. Watered them in GOOD and man alive. They took off like a cannon. That was about 6 weeks ago and I now have 10 pups in the big pot and 2 in the small. Yesterday, I took a sharp knife and separated the 2 biggest pups from the big corm. I'm guessing I will transplant them in a week or so and then I hope the corm puts it's energy into the other 8 pups. One is white and will obviously die but all the rest are verigated.

I'm going to experiment and see if I can keep the original corm producing pups. Cut one or two off when they get to a decent size and see if the others take off, then repeat the process. Interesting experiment.

Here is a pic of the large pot. The white plant is small and in left front. The 2 big ones I just cut loose from the corm. There are 10 total pups in this pot.

I will let you all know what happens in a month or two.

Terry

Image link: AE-AE transplant update (52 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AE-AE transplant update

How did they do?

o

Inquiring minds want to know.

o

Hi Terry,
Hoping you can help me save my Ae Ae (if it's not too late)I have or had an Ae Ae that was 3.5 tall.
I kept in same container it came in for a 1 1/2.
I had the "bright' idea of transplanting it to a bigger pot since the roots were coming out from the bottom.
It never even grow pups!

I placed it in a bigger pot, added miracle grow potting soil (not sure if it was proper or not) fertilized it with Miracle grow and watered it alot.

Leaves started to die and I cut them off.
Stalk started to be soft and soggy. Kept it dry but it still deteriated.

I finally dug it out and cut most of roots and rotten parts out. The area where the stalk came from now has a hole in it. It's sitting atop some soil inside a small pot. It's inside the house with the sunlight from the skylight directly above. What are my chances of this plant coming back to life?
My other banana plants do so well in both potted and in-ground.
I know I shocked the heck out of it with the transplanting, fertilizing, watering and new location( moved from one side of the yard to the other, but still in the same direction to the sun) I just hope I can have a sencond chance.Thanks for any additionanl help you can give me.
katheryne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here