Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
banana problems!!!!!

Posted by tristanpierson 6b (tristanpierson@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 0:27

Ok so long story short my potted bananas only trunk got broke off and then it started rotting so I pulled it out and put it in a vase. I washed the dirt off and cut the rot out and now it looks decent. I also made a clean cut because the top was starting to rot after it broke. It's in a vase of water now because I'm afraid to pot it. What should I do? I've had it for 3 years and I don't want to loose it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: banana problems!!!!!

You can stick your banana in a plastic garbage sack with some peat moss and stick in a cool basement location until Spring, and plant it then. If you replant it now, make sure the potting soil has very good drainage. You can add sand, perlite, or whatever you like to aerate the soil. The best thing you can do for bananas during the winter is NOT overwater them. My advise would be this... buy a soil moisture meter and use it religiously. Don't water it until the soil is almost totally dry. You can kill a banana plant from overwatering very easily, but RARELY from underwatering. The banana "trunk" and roots store lots of water, so they can go a LONG time without watering. If you overwater, the roots will rot and die.

o
RE: banana problems!!!!!

Ok I will try that. I have lots of bananas and never had that happen before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here